each user has separate instance of ProcessLasso + ProcessGovernor

Started by 4EverMaAT, December 10, 2015, 09:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4EverMaAT

Process Lasso 8.9.0.0 x64 server edition
Win2008 64 bit R2 SP1

I want only ONE instance of ProcessLasso and Process Governor, either in the Administrator or System user.  How do I enforce this?

Which user do you think is better?

I can't have multiple instances using 80+ MB of RAM

Jeremy Collake

You need to run 'Options / General / Reconfigure the way Process Lasso Starts' (or re-run the installer).

Then:

1. select to start the Governor (core engine) as a service.
2. select to start the GUI manually, so you only run it when you need to. OR you can set it to start only for YOU (current user).

The config will end up similar to what we recommend here, which has some screenshots: https://bitsum.com/ao/

As for which is better, System, or Administrator... It really doesn't matter, but MAYBE it's better to use Admnistrator, as that will also be the context the GUI will be running in, presumably, when you open it to manage the product. However, it will work fine either way.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

4EverMaAT

so what was wrong with the "old" setup in these screenshots?

I never started ProcessLasso for the other user and no one else did either that I know of.  So how did it get started?

Also, I restarted ProcessLasso configuration and the restraint history seems deleted for all apps :( 
(or it didn't recover it from the log file properly)

BenYeeHua

I guess the function might not working, or it failed to detect the current build in Administrator account and fall back?

DeadHead

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on December 10, 2015, 09:22:35 PM
You need to run 'Options / General / Reconfigure the way Process Lasso Starts' (or re-run the installer).

Then:

1. select to start the Governor (core engine) as a service.
2. select to start the GUI manually, so you only run it when you need to. OR you can set it to start only for YOU (current user).

The config will end up similar to what we recommend here, which has some screenshots: https://bitsum.com/ao/

As for which is better, System, or Administrator... It really doesn't matter, but MAYBE it's better to use Admnistrator, as that will also be the context the GUI will be running in, presumably, when you open it to manage the product. However, it will work fine either way.

Not really related, but maybe it still is.

Remember Jeremy, that I've posted about an issue when it comes to power profile settings? And that these seems to malfunction from time to time when my kids log in to their accounts on my computer? Could that in anyway be related to this "issue" you think?
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: 4EverMaAT on December 10, 2015, 11:11:13 PM
so what was wrong with the "old" setup in these screenshots?

I never started ProcessLasso for the other user and no one else did either that I know of.  So how did it get started?

Also, I restarted ProcessLasso configuration and the restraint history seems deleted for all apps :( 
(or it didn't recover it from the log file properly)

Please open the Task Scheduler and check the two tasks associated with Process Lasso (one for processlasso.exe, one for processgovernor.exe). It is possible that the Task Scheduler tasks got out of 'sync' with the displayed configuration. That's a guess. Please let me know what you find.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: DeadHead on December 11, 2015, 02:26:51 PM
Remember Jeremy, that I've posted about an issue when it comes to power profile settings? And that these seems to malfunction from time to time when my kids log in to their accounts on my computer? Could that in anyway be related to this "issue" you think?

It's hard to speak in absolutes when it comes to errata, but I would like to say that this is surely a distinct and entirely separate event.

Process Lasso is designed for the governor to run in every user instance, so that itself is not inappropriate. The question, in this case, was that this is not the desired config, and why it is started despite it being configured to only start for the Administrative user (and guidance is to check Task Scheduler tasks so we can see what is set).

4EverMaAT

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on December 11, 2015, 02:30:57 PM
Please open the Task Scheduler and check the two tasks associated with Process Lasso (one for processlasso.exe, one for processgovernor.exe). It is possible that the Task Scheduler tasks got out of 'sync' with the displayed configuration. That's a guess. Please let me know what you find.

screenshot shows that it was set to run with 'users', even though 'run with highest privileges' was also checked.  I changed this to Administrator.  We will see what happens.

Do you think this approach is better than running the governor as a service?

BenYeeHua

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: 4EverMaAT on December 12, 2015, 08:36:26 AM
screenshot shows that it was set to run with 'users', even though 'run with highest privileges' was also checked.  I changed this to Administrator.  We will see what happens.

Do you think this approach is better than running the governor as a service?

Interesting, it must have gotten out of sync, somehow. I am working on a 'detect current configuration', which we used to have - but there got to be a lot of caveats, mostly with XP and non-default startup mechanisms. So, I started storing the startup configuration in the registry, and in your case, apparently the ACTUAL configuration got out of sync with this.

That change should fix your issue.

Honestly, no, I don't think it's better than running as a service. If your Administrator is always logged in, then it's as good though -- same effect either way, a single governor instance managing the whole machine.

4EverMaAT

Quote from: BenYeeHua on December 12, 2015, 10:56:00 AM
I hope you will bring back some good news. :)

I will check it the next time I restart the server.  This is not very often unless I want to apply windows update or somehow update something that REQUIRES a restart.  Windows 2008 update takes up considerable resources just to check for updates.  So it is usually disabled.  VPS needs to just run, AS IS, without freezing or crashing, unattended.  ProcessLasso just makes this a little easier to have programs avoid freezing.

But ideal conditions are for servers to run indefinitely.

Jeremy Collake

Agreed on keeping servers up. I manage our dynamic 'fleet' of cloud servers, all running linux. I have scripts set up to reboot if an update requires such once a week. Fortunately, a reboot takes < 30 seconds for these systems.