CPU Affinity of Explorer.exe in Windows 7

Started by JackRyan, March 24, 2016, 07:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackRyan

First, thanks to Dev for recent updates, including the updates which recognized more than 32 cores. Great updates!

I've recently found that I see better overall performance on my dual E5-2697 v2 (24 Logical / 48 HT Cores) by attaching explorer.exe to cores 0-3 and 24-27 (the first 2 logical cores on each CPU).

When working in 3D applications; programs like After Effects. I've found by assigning those programs to all cores MINUS the the first 2 on each processor; and assigning/allowing basically only windows processes to the first 2 cores.

So when the system ramps up basically maxing out both CPUs, explorer.exe and other processes have 4 logical cores of freedom, and the system stays very stable, no delays navigating windows, etc. I even linked firefox to these cores.

My only question is when you do this, a warning pops up... is there really any danger in doing this? I realize for people running systems with only 4 or 8 HT cores it would make little difference, but with 48; is there any harm in assigning processes to specific cores to keep the system highly responsive?

Thanks again!   Great product and great service. Has certainly made my workflow much easier!

Cheers!

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: JackRyan on March 24, 2016, 07:08:25 AM
My only question is when you do this, a warning pops up... is there really any danger in doing this? I realize for people running systems with only 4 or 8 HT cores it would make little difference, but with 48; is there any harm in assigning processes to specific cores to keep the system highly responsive?

I am glad this CPU affinity setting has worked well for you. It's good to hear user configurations and setup of Process Lasso, as it's impossible for us to document all conceivable cases.

To answer your question: For a sophisticated user like yourself, you can ignore the warning. It's more for laymen or non-technical users that might constrain explorer.exe to the point that it can't get anything done. I'll check the warning and see if it needs any adjustment or toning down.

Thanks!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.