ENDITALL/TASKPOWER style functionality

Started by rhjiv, December 21, 2010, 07:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhjiv

given of the depth of understanding Process Lasso has in managing the OS and their processes < which works great ;) >
A complimentary addition to this tool might be the added functionality the above utilities have. 
While chiefly used in gaming, I have found working with large files and rendering to have benefited from these tools by that reduction of background tasks - you already have the functionality in different menus but nothing that pulls it together as a set
This might be useful as a GAMER/TASK variant (Process Lasso TASK) as a bigger 3/4 throttle of the PRO
Just a thought - I hate using an extra program KNOWING this tool can do it albeit in a less batched manner

Jeremy Collake

Hmm, yes I could easily do that. It takes about 10 lines of additional code, lol. That is a good suggestion and I've put it on the task list. No guarantees when I get to it.

A new 'Applications' tab may be the best path. Then you can hit CTRL+A to select all, then terminate only the processes with windows (which is what these utilities appear to do). Adding a one click 'End all Applications' could be easily added then, and it would be more clear what the difference is between a process and an 'Application' (which is simply a process with a window).

Thanks ;)
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

rhjiv

thanks for the response

both of those programs (actually are the same but simply evolved) help flag the real critical processes to prevent hanging yourself

the thought might be to package by task - bundling which running processes to keep and killing all else when done do a "restore" formally active processes.  Not sure if the sequencing is important though or if the restore would be system stable

looking to see what you may come up with and would be happy to beta when you get around to it someday.

Scott

If you want to attempt to close all programs (windowed or not) and do it with relative safety, you can use the command line program process.exe, and use it with a command script.  The script could parse the program output to see what's running, and then try closing (not killing) each program in turn.  You could reference a separate whitelist of programs to ignore, although I doubt that would be necessary.

I really need to change my user name to "kludge".

Jeremy Collake

You actually want to limit to application level processes. These are processes that have a top-level window, like your web browser or Microsoft Word. Background processes must be excluded in any sort of EndItAll. Most multi-process applications handle termination of their primary top-level application well, hence this feature 'works'. I will implement something similar, as I realize there is a desire for such. It is really quite easy, 10 lines of code maybe. Of course, more advanced options and configuration take more time.

Scott

I was thinking in terms of how I normally want to terminate applications--kind of a "scorched earth" thing for when I want to securely overwrite free space or whatever.  I was just talking about sending WM_CLOSE, not anything hardcore...

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Scott on February 02, 2011, 11:37:41 PM
I was thinking in terms of how I normally want to terminate applications--kind of a "scorched earth" thing for when I want to securely overwrite free space or whatever.  I was just talking about sending WM_CLOSE, not anything hardcore...

Yea, sending a WM_CLOSE to the all top level Windows except (or including) the shell is what an 'EndItAll' would do (to me). Whether or not processes minimized to the system tray should be thrown in, I dunno, but I guess so if it is a true 'EndItAll'. Hmm.. Will have to think. Of course, sending WM_CLOSE has to be backed by a later forcible termination, else you'll inevitably get hung up on some save dialog (as you should, but as may not be desired). That's where it is tricky.. you'd think applications would be smart enough to default to 'Yes' if not clicked for 5 seconds, few really want to cancel/delete the changes they just made, lol. So, there is risk of potential data loss, but would also be the same risk were to have to resort to a hard boot ;o. At least it would be less risky.

Scott

KILL THEM ALL!!!  KILL!!!  KILL!!!  ARRGHHARHAAAAA!!!