AMD High Performance vs Bitsum Highest Performance

Started by Jibroni, June 19, 2022, 07:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jibroni

Quick question, does AMD's high performance plan disable core parking like Bitsum Highest performance does?

Jeremy Collake

It depends. You can use ParkControl to verify the settings of your stock High Performance power plan.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jibroni

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on June 20, 2022, 08:40:47 AMIt depends. You can use ParkControl to verify the settings of your stock High Performance power plan.

Got it, so what about the P-State. Does ultimate performance or Bitsum Highest Performance disable P-States for the CPU?

Jeremy Collake

Bitsum Highest Performance disables below-base frequency scaling, which effectively disables P-States.

I believe Windows' Ultimate Performance does as well, on most platforms.

Generally speaking, for best performance you want to disable all power saving features, though some matter more than others.

Jibroni

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on July 07, 2022, 09:12:34 AMBitsum Highest Performance disables below-base frequency scaling, which effectively disables P-States.

I believe Windows' Ultimate Performance does as well, on most platforms.

Generally speaking, for best performance you want to disable all power saving features, though some matter more than others.

Ok, and what about AMD's equivalent power plans?

Jeremy Collake

I believe all AMD stock power plans allow frequency scaling below base, making use of the power saving P-states. However, that may vary depending on the CPU.

You can confirm with ParkControl. If 'Freq Scaling' is disabled, then the power saving P-states are de-facto disabled.

Jibroni

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on July 08, 2022, 12:53:25 PMI believe all AMD stock power plans allow frequency scaling below base, making use of the power saving P-states. However, that may vary depending on the CPU.

You can confirm with ParkControl. If 'Freq Scaling' is disabled, then the power saving P-states are de-facto disabled.

:) Got it, well P-States is one less thing I have to worry about then. This one guy I've been talking to said disabling P-States fixed the stuttering in his games, so it does cause problems. I think Microsoft needs to come out with a new Windows edition that disables all power saving features by default, including stuff like HPET, Network Discovery among other things that are known culprits for performance issues. Call it "Windows 10/11 Gaming Edition".