Restore original priority when focus is regained

Started by Scott, July 17, 2008, 09:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Process Lasso can be configured so that it does not reduce the priority of an application whose window has focus.  But from what I see here, if an application's priority is reduced, and its window is subsequently given focus, the original priority is not restored.

My suggestion would be to restore the priority of applications whose windows regain focus.  This is how "that other" priority utility handles it, and it makes sense to me.  I can explain, but I'm guessing the reasoning is fairly obvious.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: heterodox on July 17, 2008, 09:42:41 AM
Process Lasso can be configured so that it does not reduce the priority of an application whose window has focus.  But from what I see here, if an application's priority is reduced, and its window is subsequently given focus, the original priority is not restored.

Actually, unless there is a misunderstanding here, this behavior was changed a few versions ago by user request. If a process has its priority lowered, then its window is subsequently given focus during the restraint, the original priority will be immediately restored.

The only caveat is that 'exclude foreground processes' from OOC restraint must be checked, which is not the default. I think I will do something to make the behavior the default, as it should be.

If you don't see this behavior, then let me know as I'd like to figure out why.

Thanks,
J
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Scott

I apologize.  I just did another test, and at least with the applications I tested with, it behaves properly.  The remaining problem I'm seeing is with Firefox.  When PL sets firefox.exe to priority class 6, it often (always?) leaves it that way, even after it regains focus.

I think I posted about this problem in the "old forum".

I'm running Firefox 3.0.1 on WinXP Pro SP3.

Jeremy Collake

Good to hear, thanks for letting me know its working.

I split this topic to start a new one about the firefox priority restoration problem you are seeing.

Jeremy Collake

I just changed the logic of ProcessGovernor so that it will restore these priorities quicker, and more reliably (in some cases of previous versions, if the system load continued to be high, the priority would not be restored when the process went to the foreground). These changes will appear in v3.01+ (probably released as v3.02).

Scott

Quote from: jeremy.collake on July 22, 2008, 12:06:20 PMin some cases of previous versions, if the system load continued to be high, the priority would not be restored when the process went to the foreground

So I wasn't nuts...  :)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: heterodox on July 22, 2008, 06:59:08 PM
So I wasn't nuts...  :)

LOL, nope. I found it in a code walk-through. Its hard to make things perfect, somehow this had slipped by. I'm just glad it wasn't too major of a problem, and glad you reported it so that I could fix it. If you see it again, or any other errant behavior, let me know ;).