How to Make PL Optimize for iRacing

Started by gayreliable, December 03, 2023, 11:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gayreliable

It still uses an old engine—they didn't update from DX9 to DX11 until late 2016. This is because many of their users were still on WinXP, which doesn't support DX11, so they had to wait until they could "live without" these users if they didn't want to change their 15+ year old OS!

There are two CPU cores: one does all the physics calculations and the other does everything else (rendering), but one core does most of the work.
It's normal for the CPU to be used at most 20 to 25 percent (i7 8086K @ 5.3Ghz on all cores).
Because I only race in VR, my GPU (1080ti) rarely sees more than 45% usage.

The creators of iRacing use the standard DX11 defense, saying that the design of DX11 is what's holding it back—sure, it's not truly multi-threaded like DX12—but that's not the point.
But when I play other DX11 games, like "Assetto Corsa" or "Project Cars 2," they use at least 4 cores and the GPU to its fullest, so iRacing is partly right.

So, is there anything I can do with PL to make this game run better (with the main cores doing all the work)?

Many thanks!

Jeremy Collake

Unfortunately, I don't think Process Lasso, or any software, can help iRacing to use more CPU cores.

The iRacing developers are correct in that the fundamental problem is the lack of sufficient multi-threading. Whether that is due more to DX11 or the game design, I don't know, but I'm inclined to take them at their word.

Acting on the game externally, as Process Lasso would, can never change that architectural deficiency.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.