Some possible solution for not receiving Win 10 installer per-loading

Started by BenYeeHua, July 28, 2015, 04:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenYeeHua

Latest way to force download
Jus open a CMD with admin right, then run this. ;)
wuauclt.exe /updatenow

Because I just don't receive any Windows 10 installer per-loaded a few hours ago, so I try to find out the trigger to
1. Trigger GWX.exe to check the upgrade has been pushed, and should be start downloading
2. Why GWX.exe don't per-loading Windows 10 installer

So I just open the Event Viewer to check the logs from GWX, there is one thing very strange.
Reservation is not-allowed from Appraiser

This information can be many meaning, but I think it means, You has reserved, and it(Appraiser) is the one who decide you should receive now or later.

So I just do some possible thing that may trigger the fire to start per-loading
1. Run the code/script on this solution, which force the Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser to check my system, then open GWX by double click on the Tray Icon.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/i-want-to-reserve-my-free-copy-of-windows-10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b?auth=1

And nothing happen, maybe it check for the windows 10 push per 1 hour?
But anyways, I saw nothing happen, then I just keep doing the other thing

2. Changing the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program(CEIP) to I agree, then open GWX again.
And at least GWX logged and set a flag that, telling the installer or Appraiser I will accept the CEIP, so they can collect information while I am upgrading to Windows 10.

And still, no download happen, but I re-run the Step 1 as it is related to the Appraiser.
Noticed the report in the GWX has been updated, but funny that, it is not showing the local time on my country. ::)

3. Changing the Windows Update setting back to Download and Install automatically, so GWX know that, he can download as it like. :)

4. This is the last change, and after I changed this and open GWX, it just start downloading as it like. ;)
Remember that, the Windows Update can update your driver automatically?

If you disabled it, then GWX will know that, you means don't auto update the drive while upgrading, which causing a lot of issues that don't happen with default Windows config.
And GFW will lower the priority to receive Windows 10.

You can just enabled it back, and open GWX, then you will see something downloading at Full Speed! :D

And be prepare for Windows 10, you may do nothing, or download the driver for Windows 10.(but many of them just pushed the driver to the Windows Update, and not their own website)
Or uninstall the driver after upgrade to Windows 10, then use Windows Update to search and install the newest driver. ;)

PS: You should change the Device installation back to disable, if you will receive old driver after enabled, just like me. :P
PS2: You can use DDU to clean up the Graphic card driver, so nothing left behind and causing issues to you.
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30
PS3: I also tried to cancel the reservation, reserve the upgrade, type in my email this time, this may also a possible solution for not receiving the per-loading.

---
And here is some PowerShell code that is written by Greg Williams, which provide you a simple UI to check the download progress. :)
PS: Remember to running PowerShell as Admin.
Get-BitsTransfer -AllUsers |? {$_.JobState -eq "Transferring"} | select DisplayName, TransferType, BytesTransferred, BytesTotal, @{Name="% Complete";Expression={ "{0:P2}" -f ($_.BytesTransferred / $_.BytesTotal)}}, FileList
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2412763&p=56#r1119

And ya, if it is not 29th on your Country, you will see the upgrade failed keep showing up on the Windows Update, just ignore it and upgrade when GWX told you to do that. :)

PS: If you check the ip that it is connected to download the installer, you will found that it is the difference server ip for updating driver and Windows Update, and it is showing c-0001.c-msedge.net for me ;)
PS2: It is 2.63GB upgrade installer for me, it should be larger for Windows 7, and it is difference upgrade installer as you can seen in the PowerShell download address, maybe someone can trick MS upgrading you to Windows 10 Pro, but not Windows 10 Home? ???

----Edit
5. Just by reading some information from the forum on China, there is also some possible like, running the Automatic Maintenance, then after 1 hour, it will be per-loading.

edkiefer

GWX says I am good to go , but I just checked eventviewer and when I open GWX I see 2 errors

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-GWX-Ins/Operational

Description:
Error message: GWX JSHandler: Config refresh failed  hresult: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

Event ID:      100

Description:
Event ID:      100
Error message: Failed to get detector state hresult: Could not read key from registry

Edit: setting windows update to auto and letting drivers get updated and it DL the files .
I just don't like drivers updating, so will change back once it finished .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

For the Config refresh failed, I think it means getting new config from the MS has timeout, maybe server or network busy. :)

For the register error, it is the same error that I also seen on my side, maybe it means the detector is currently running, but too less clue for me. :P

QuoteEdit: setting windows update to auto and letting drivers get updated and it DL the files .
I just don't like drivers updating, so will change back once it finished .
Yup, it just downloaded a 2013 year driver for my Intel graphic, and I really don't know what to said. ::)

And currently it is downloading the KB3074683, after downloaded the Windows 10 installer and extracted it, so I guess he is preparing/per-loading Windows 10 patch for install while upgrading. :)

Too bad I need to leaving and need to turn off this laptop, I wonder did it will continue after I came back. :P
Never mind, then I just keep becoming a white mice that testing situation most average user will not be facing. ;D

edkiefer

Check inside the driver folder, I see icafe drivers, Why they installing those (don't know version ).
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on July 28, 2015, 09:23:16 PM
Check inside the driver folder, I see icafe drivers, Why they installing those (don't know version ).
icafe is for China cafe, the hardware id that supported is same with normal version of driver.
So it shows that, MS Windows Update don't know it is differench branch for difference user, but this is the normal design. :)

edkiefer

yeh, I know there for China cafe's but you think they would know, but then again, maybe that is all Nvidia gave them for win10 .
I am waiting as win10 drivers seem to be bit buggy and once you upgrade you can't back track as there only a few win10 drivers released.
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on July 29, 2015, 08:46:17 AM
yeh, I know there for China cafe's but you think they would know, but then again, maybe that is all Nvidia gave them for win10 .
I am waiting as win10 drivers seem to be bit buggy and once you upgrade you can't back track as there only a few win10 drivers released.
Yup, I guess Nvidia just give most of their driver, and forgot about this issues. :P

QuoteI am waiting as win10 drivers seem to be bit buggy and once you upgrade you can't back track as there only a few win10 drivers released.
Yup, some graphic card will not getting fully supported, Intel, you know... :P

Anyways, most Windows 10 drivers are on the Windows Update, so you can only found their driver on the Microsoft Update Catalog, or some forums. ;)
And Elan touchpad has supported it well, by providing some new feature for using 3 and 4 fingers. :D

DeadHead

Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

edkiefer

Yup, then you have option on how you want to do it , update this system, to USB stick or DVD .

I had the issue of error 80240020 "Upgrade to window 10 Pro" after it DL . What I had to do like was mentioned in other sites, delete the folder $windows~bt (use either CCleaner or win clean-up app and delete the content in "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" .
Then just run windows update or if you want to install right there use command Ben posted above .

I am going to wait a bit, "rumor " has there will be more big updates, so might let them squash mre bugs.
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Yup, it is much better for you to download the ISO to upgrade it, because of some Laptop like Asus and MSI delayed the user to upgrade it. :P