Process Lasso, Vulcan and multi threading/multi core access

Started by KarterLorenzo, April 03, 2020, 06:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarterLorenzo

I was wondering if someone could advise me of this scenario. As a flight simmer, I use Process Lasoo to great affect with these sims that seem to be very intent on using one CPU.

Without waffling on, with a lot of flight simmers, Process lasoo is essentially used to move plug-ins and in the case of VR, the server applications etc. onto cores whilst moving the main flight sim executable to a core that is least used (using affinity).

As of today, Laminar Research just released X-plane 11.30 which now incorporates the Vulcan API which is renown for its multi-threading ability.

My question is, does anyone have experience with the Vulcan API and process lasso. Should I undo all of my prior work with affinities and let Vulcan attempt to do it’s thing or is there any advice that someone could give who perhaps has experience with Vulcan and process lasso affinities and could kindly advise me.
Thankyou

edkiefer

Quote from: KarterLorenzo on April 03, 2020, 06:06:39 AM
I was wondering if someone could advise me of this scenario. As a flight simmer, I use Process Lasoo to great affect with these sims that seem to be very intent on using one CPU.

Without waffling on, with a lot of flight simmers, Process lasoo is essentially used to move plug-ins and in the case of VR, the server applications etc. onto cores whilst moving the main flight sim executable to a core that is least used (using affinity).

As of today, Laminar Research just released X-plane 11.30 which now incorporates the Vulcan API which is renown for its multi-threading ability.

My question is, does anyone have experience with the Vulcan API and process lasso. Should I undo all of my prior work with affinities and let Vulcan attempt to do it’s thing or is there any advice that someone could give who perhaps has experience with Vulcan and process lasso affinities and could kindly advise me.
Thankyou
Hi, Since Vulcan is relatively new and PL has no direct control over the rendering of the API I would back up your profile and then remove any affinity rules on the Sims exe and then monitor how good it really is in multi-core performance.
If it truly is multi-core you should see better performance or at least more stable framerates.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

The change in graphics API is likely to provide internal performance improvements, where-as Process Lasso focuses on the entire system and inter-process interaction.

At present, I have no further guidance. You'll have to experiment to see what works best for you.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Normanj

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on April 07, 2020, 07:02:22 PM
The change in graphics API is likely to provide internal performance improvements, where-as Process Lasso focuses on the entire system and inter-process interaction.

At present, I have no further guidance. You'll have to experiment to see what works best for you.

Hello Jeremy Collake,

Thank you so much for your guide...

Regards
Normanj