per process stop processing rules functionality

Started by justaquestion, December 08, 2023, 07:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justaquestion

I use process lasso process watchdog to adjust google chrome but google chrome has multiple processes. the rules used to constantly spam because many of google chromes processes don't do anything leading to the condition being met. Id like to turn off processing rules for the calling process if it meets a certain condition but not the other processes that have the same name as the process. Im not entirely sure if it worked. the stopped processing rules rule doesn't list itself in process lasso when I enabled it. Its possible the cpu usage for the other processes was preventing the rule from being displayed. it seems to not spam the rule as much. but i think thats just because I set the governor and the program to have a 2 second polling latency.

Jeremy Collake

I'm not sure that I understand your question, but any Watchdog rule will apply to all matched process instances. Therefore, I don't believe it is currently possible to do what you want.

If excess log entries are the primary concern, I'd disable Watchdog log entries after you've confirmed your rules are working as expected.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

justaquestion

I guess I thought it would be neat if a watchdog rule only applied to the particular process instance that caused the change. also what does stop processing watchdog rules mean because the condition for that was meant but it still continued to process watchdog rules for the process.

Id guess Id like to make a watchdog rule for a specific process that's part of a multi process process. I want the specific process that activated the rule to be affected and stop processing rules for that process. the reason being when using process lasso for lets say a web browser it stops being effective because its constantly reapplying the same rule to a process because the condition is always being met since the process is essentially using zero cpu and the process is set to set the io priority to high when cpu usage is below a certain threshold. anyway great program. I wasnt asking you to add it as a feature but I do think it would be neat. I use the program for nearly everything on my computer. it mainly works well for multithreaded processes that use one process like games. It used to be browsers would use like 6 processes when one tab is open. now they use like 10 or more.

Jeremy Collake

Stop processing rules means that for as long as the condition is met, no rules *after* that one will be enforced. When the condition is no longer met, rules will again be processed. If you share a screenshot of your Watchdog config dialog we can see if they look right.

It's possible that we'll have something that will be more helpful to you in the future. We're constantly developing new features and extending existing ones.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

justaquestion

thank you. that's actually pretty clever. I just assumed once the condition was met. the rules processing was stopped permanently even if the condition was no longer met after it had been met once. I guess my only complaint would be it doesn't show up in the logs so you don't know if it has been applied. but maybe that would be antithetical to what it's trying to accomplish. neat.