[OT] :) Are there any Android gurus?

Started by TfH, May 25, 2011, 10:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TfH

Hi.

I recently stopped being Symbian freak and switched to Android phone.

I tweeted question, but there were no gurus, or no guru wanted to answer me LOL

How i set on demand data access instead of always on? Similar like in Nokia phones. No need to keep always on.

EDIT:

I mean that 3G/GPRS data connection

Jupiter

Place "Power control widget" on 'desktop'

• Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth
  • GPS
  • Data access (updates) - disable it
  • Light (display)
EnJoy!

TfH

TfH

That app wasn't exactly what i needed/ment. Let me re-phrase my question.
(or it didn't work for me like it should?)

For example i set mail checking/update interval to 15minutes and Twitter checking/updating interval to 5minutes.

There is no data connection open/active. When those apps needs connection, those apps opens it when needed and after update is done, connection is closed.

Jeremy Collake

I have never seen a way to do that myself, though I have never looked. I have been through the settings pretty well though, and know it isn't there. For a third-party application to provide that it would most likely need root access, meaning there may very well not be one out there, and if there is you'd have to hack your phone to get it to work. That is one thing about Android, as with all Google things they went for simplicity above configurability.

That said, if your apps aren't *requesting* any data, then of course your data connection shouldn't be used.. sooo, few people would have a need to do this, making it even more unlikely there is a way. I suppose you could root your phone and build your own firmware ;)
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

Darn it, where did my smileys go.. another thing to fix. UPDATE: fixed

TfH

Quote from: jeremy.collake on May 27, 2011, 09:56:05 AMI suppose you could root your phone and build your own firmware ;)

I was afraid to get that kind of reply, but in the end i thought it would be that way as i've been searching&looking very long time and no "solution".

That option in Nokia (Symbian OS) is really good. Saves battery and keeps packetdata under "control".

I have 24months warranty left, so not rooting my phone for 2years :) I just have to learn and live with this "annoyance" and feeling that "i'm not in control" of my phone :)

Jeremy Collake

Yea, in the end that's all you can really do. Even if you wanted to break your warranty it would take a lot of effort to build a new firmware from the Android sources.. a whole lot of effort, and you'd be missing features (like Swype). I was just joking around when I said that, didn't mean to be a smartass. In the end, the 'open source' of Android is useless.

medflights

Quote from: Jupiter on May 25, 2011, 11:20:42 AM
Place "Power control widget" on 'desktop'

• Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth
  • GPS
  • Data access (updates) - disable it
  • Light (display)

Must appreciated if it is free...
The commitment of quality and cost effectiveness.