More Wildcards? +mismatched functionality

Started by noahphense, March 03, 2019, 01:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahphense

Performance Mode Settings:
For performance mode 'g' .. this wildcard works:  d:\games\* .. keeping in mind that there are many sub-directories under \games\ and zero exe's in the root of \games\ .. and it works wonderfully.  #recursion

ProBalance Settings:
For the 'X' setting, the wildcard d:\games\* does nothing.  Let me know what method to use here.  It would be nice if worked the same as Perf Mode wildcards, but that's my opinion, I'll go stick that back where it belongs.  ;)

Cheers!

Jeremy Collake

Assuming you have 'Also include process paths in matching' checked in the ProBalance Exclusions configuration dialog, it should behave the same.

The issue here is likely to be the GUI not reflecting path based matches properly in the Rules column. So it doesn't show an 'X', when these processes are actually excluded from ProBalance. Recently, I addressed this for a few other features, and will hit the ProBalance exclusions as well.

I do need to take a closer look to confirm this. In any event, I'll update this thread as necessary.

Thanks for the heads up!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

noahphense

Hi Jeremy, yeah the box is checked.  I should add that I am always rolling with the latest beta.

Cheers!

edkiefer

Quote from: noahphense on March 03, 2019, 01:44:37 PM
Hi Jeremy, yeah the box is checked.  I should add that I am always rolling with the latest beta.

Cheers!
It seems to work ok, just no X rule showing, no restraint is happening just fine.
FYI, you don't need to do games as by default Probalance doesn't restraint on foreground processes.
Bitsum QA Engineer

noahphense

Hi edkiefer,

I can confirm that the pathing wild card is functional.  Game or not, foreground or not.

I just tried: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\*" -- minus the quotes
- Launched Thunderbird and it received no restraints.
- Removed that path above, reopened Thunderbird and it was then again restrained.

So the pathing wildcard is fine, the column is just missing the 'X'.

Thanks guys.

Cheers!

Jeremy Collake

noahphense

Wow Jeremy!  It works great.  Much appreciated.

np

noahphense

I did find an issue with the pathing.  I will describe it best I can below.

This is the same for ProBalance and for Performance Mode.  It works, most of the time.  But never for an executable that calls another executable.  Which in the case of, let's call this game ABC.
d:\games\*

I launch the game, which launches a launcher or not even a launcher, it's just another executable calling the primary game, ABC.exe in this example.  The caller will get the 'Xg'.. but the called exe will not.  It will get nothing.

Even though, that called exe, falls under d:\games\* ..

edkiefer

It does seem to have an issue if multiple exe are in the folder and if one starts temporally while the game runs.

For now, I would just add the exe name for the ones you come across until we find workaround/fix.
Bitsum QA Engineer

noahphense

Awesome.  These first two bullets should take care of this thread.  EDIT: I will finish testing tomorrow.  Still showing an issue.

v9.1.0.29 beta â€" May 16 2019

Refactored Instance Balancer
  • Allow for wildcards
  • Allow for ‘childof: processname.exe’ to allow for matching all children of a process
  • Rebalance if any PID in set changes, rather than net instance count change
Thanks for all the hard work.

np

edkiefer

Those changes only apply to instance balance AFAIK.
We are testing this, it was just released as a beta feature.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

While these changes only apply to the Instance Balancer, it is a distinct possibility that I expand them to other rule types.

I will consider hitting up the ProBalance exclusions and Perf Mode rules mentioned here during this beta series.

EDIT:
That said, the issue you report doesn't sound right. The path matching should work regardless of whether it is a child or not, so long as it is in the right path. I would love to get this reliably reproduced so we can see what is going on. Can you give us an example of an affected game/platform/launcher?

noahphense

I have narrowed down the issue to be related to BattleEye & EasyAntiCheat, which is built into most online games.

I did a test today of just normal exes buried 10-12 deep and added them to ProBalance & Performance Mode via a simple wildcard like such.

d:\whatever\*

To be clear, the exes were buried.  i.e.

d:\whatever\files\i\wanted\to\be\included\in\balance\and\performance\yeah.exe

This is working for both balance & performance mode.  d:\whatever\*    ---- which is awesome

When I launch games that use BattleEye or EasyAntiCheat active.  The pathing seems to be hidden from Lasso.  An example is here in the attached 2 screenshots.

Arma 3 running with and without BattleEye.

7 Days to Die, does not shows its path in Lasso either, when launched normally.

To conclude, Arma 3 or 7 Days is not getting added to either probalance or perf. mode, most likely, because it's path is not being captured (or at least not showing) inside of Lasso.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

np