Misc comments about Chrome and Firefox

Started by Jeremy Collake, October 27, 2011, 11:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on October 27, 2011, 09:58:38 AM
As far as Firefox, for me its been yrs since it crashed but I run bare min extensions/plug-in's .

That is the key to stability ;). I've liked what I've seen with recent Firefox versions, including the new ability to send them feedback on performance metrics automatically. TANGENT: However, I fear for the future of the browser. It seems Chrome's entrance into the market was mostly at the cost of Firefox, a real shame. That said, Chrome's entrance to the market did also foster a renewed competition that resulted in an increase of browser performance across the board.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Miroku4444

I like chrome, just not as much as firefox. I hate how Chrome puts that imbedded(alternate data stream) security warning on downloaded files(you know when you click on an .exe it asks you if you want to run this program?). Firefox did it also, but there was a  fix for it. Also chrome doesn't have all the cool firefox add-ons yet.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Miroku4444 on October 27, 2011, 07:09:41 PM
I like chrome, just not as much as firefox. I hate how Chrome puts that imbedded(alternate data stream) security warning on downloaded files(you know when you click on an .exe it asks you if you want to run this program?). Firefox did it also, but there was a  fix for it. Also chrome doesn't have all the cool firefox add-ons yet.

Very true. Chrome is not for everyone, and indeed Firefox is still the most robust browser for legitimate add-ons, by far.

Hotrod

Maybe this will boost FF's bottom line.  8)

QuoteMicrosoft and Mozilla have teamed up this time around to deliver a new version of Firefox that incorporates Bing as the default search engine rather than Google. This new version is simply called “Firefox with Bing”, and is available to download right now as a separate and complete installer.

Firefox with Bing has been created so that people can use the popular web browser and Bing together without having to take extra steps, according to the Bing Search Blog. Firefox with Bing sets up the homepage as Bing, and also includes Bing as the default search engine in both the search box and AwesomeBar.

QuoteWhen you get the latest version of Mozilla Firefox with Bing, you're bringing the ability to help make informed decisions right to your browsing experience. Whatever you're looking for, from where to go to what to do, Bing helps make decisions easier.
Despite this partnership with Firefox looking like a good idea, it’s very easy to get Bing on a normal Google-filled installation of Firefox by just downloading the Bing Search for Firefox add-on. You would have to wonder just how many people will download the add-on over the new standalone application.

Nevertheless, if you desire painless Bing integration with Firefox, you can download a copy right now.

You can Get it below

http://www.firefoxwithbing.com/

Source: Neowin

Jeremy Collake

Yes, I read about this. It is a slippery slope and I hope Firefox has good traction, that's all ;). Gotta love how the marketers wrote the announcement, "so users can use Firefox and Bing without extra steps". LOL

I have evaluated Bing myself, as I love its interface, *BUT* in my case I have not had it return to me the same quality search results as Google. YMMV, that is my personal opinion at this time, and they could improve any day and maybe suddenly be as good, who knows. The one thing I do know is that Microsoft is pushing Bing hard, with all these bundles and such.