New display of parked cores / Potential scheduler deficiencies shown

Started by Jeremy Collake, March 16, 2013, 02:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

This is a screenshot of Process Lasso v6.0.2.63 beta, a build being uploaded shortly after this post.

Parked cores are now shown in Red on the core utilization graph. There are some remaining problems, and I'll need to allow the color to be customized for alternate Windows themes in which Red might not be a contrasting color. Many more new metric displays and changes are coming to Process Lasso and ancillary tools.

Also NOTICE that even in this VERY HIGH LOAD, cores are still being parked by Windows! This shows just how unnecessarily aggressive the core parking can be. Further, on this AMD Bulldozor chip, it parks an entire 2 core module, as opposed to going for alternating cores. This would seem to indicate a serious scheduler deficiency on AMD Bulldozer platforms (at least), as of Windows 8 x64!

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

offchu

Bug: Also Non-physical cores are shown in Red on the core utilization graph.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: offchu on March 17, 2013, 07:04:14 PM
Nope, as you are using windows 7, it will park the HT core. ;)
Windows 8 park the whole core to save power. :)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: offchu on March 17, 2013, 07:04:14 PM

This is not a bug. These are parked logical cores. If you bring your system to a 100% CPU load, you will see them unparked.

I am adding some tooltips that I hope will clarify what the Red means. I thought there might be some user confusion, but pressed on ahead anyway, for better or worse. I figured it would, at least, make people more aware that parking was taking place.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.