v6.0.0.37 BETA -> v6.0.0.38 BETA upgrade anomalies (back to v5.1.1.1)

Started by Jeremy Collake, July 09, 2012, 07:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

Process Lasso v6 beta

Some users reported this upgrade path (v6.0.0.37 beta->v6.0.0.38 beta) took them back to v5.1.1.1 final. Once they got to final, THEN they updated to v6.0.0.38 beta fine. I am investigating the cause, but do be aware this could occur. It is likely just some remaining confusion in the switch from alpha to beta.

For now I am holding .37->.38 notifications, as I have .39 coming shortly anyway. It may behave the SAME, as I can not go back and correct the code in the OLDER build. So, bear with me a build or two.

Thank you for your patience.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

Ok, the cause has been determined. Note that there is not much I can do. The QuickUpgrade.exe in .37 and .38 is broken for beta updates. That means that when I issue .39, I will get the same complaints ;o. At least it will be fixed.

What happened was actually an artifact from the forced alpha updates, then the switch to beta. It was easily missed. Thanks to those who reported it.

Jeremy Collake

Some users who experienced this may need to do a MANUAL installation or update in order to get the automated update component replaced with a proper copy. This fix (a manual update or reinstall) should work, but I am still looking into it to make sure all affected users are taken care of.

Future editions will FORCE the replacement of QuickUpgrade.exe, as opposed to replacing it 'on first opportunity' (since it requires UAC elevation). This is why some users see different behavior, it depends on whether you are running Process Lasso elevated or not. The design should have been for QuickUpgrade to replace itself, and is what I'm doing now.

Incidentally, I have a new upgrade service for ALL Bitsum products that I've not yet deployed, one reason I have not worked much on QuickUpgrade.exe.