News:

NOTICE: This forum is mostly an archive, though new posts are allowed. Registration may require manual admin activation. After registering visit https://bitsum.com/contact/ to request account activation.

Main Menu

Windows 8 Screenshots

Started by Jeremy Collake, August 25, 2012, 02:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenYeeHua

So it is crash again, the !poaction is showing 2 usb driver that windows itself, and this
2: kd> !irp fffffa8007340740
Irp is active with 4 stacks 2 is current (= 0xfffffa8007340858)
No Mdl: No System Buffer: Thread 00000000:  Irp stack trace. 
     cmd  flg cl Device   File     Completion-Context
[  0, 0]   0  0 00000000 00000000 00000000-00000000   

Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
>[ 16, 2]   0 e1 fffffa80081c0e40 00000000 fffff880051ee1d0-fffffa800bfb4010 Success Error Cancel pending
       \Driver\ACPI nvlddmkm
Args: 00000000 00000001 00000001 00000000
[ 16, 2]   0 e1 fffffa80069e0290 00000000 fffff803887a4310-fffffa800ce54dd0 Success Error Cancel pending
       \Driver\nvlddmkm nt!PopRequestCompletion
Args: 00000000 00000001 00000001 00000000
[  0, 0]   0  0 00000000 00000000 00000000-fffffa800ce54dd0   

Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

It is the time to report it at Nvidia forum. :P
And I can install the AiCharger again. :)

Jeremy Collake

I have seen a lot of complaints about severe crashes and OS problems with Windows 8 Hybrids and Laptops. These include random BSODs and - especially - power management problems. One user reported his Hybrid as magically turning itself on (resume) from time to time.

Most likely, the issue is hardware drivers. It may take some time to iron out the kinks.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Yup, I hope it is a driver issue too, as the fastboot function of the windows 8 is using the mini version of hibernate.
And lot of people is having issue with fastboot function enable.
It seen like many driver forgot how the hibernate works. ;D
And after the issue is fixed, windows 9 is out, prefect. 8)

But I hope the Nvidia can be fix faster, as windows 8 is getting more people using it, and more windows 8 switchable graphic card Hybrids/Laptop with Nvidia(610m LOL :o) is coming out.
So the windows 8 user will not crying BSOD!!!!! after 2-3 boot(2-3 days). ;D

If the problem is on the side of BIOS, we need to wait a long~~~~ time for the fix. :P
----
The mini version of hibernate(fastboot) is good, faster start time with HDD, and SSD too.
just 15-20s(include BIOS initialization time) boot time, and can be faster after defrag the boot file together. :)
With just increase the shutdown time to 5-10s.(can be decrease with disable third-part services, update the driver)

And I wonder what the Microsoft do after getting the minidump that the user sending to them.

nikkil

In my opinion, it's still to early too switch. I'll give it 6 more months.
You're never a loser until you quit trying.

BenYeeHua

You can wait until Windows Blue(â'¨). ;D
But for who has a netbook, you can try on it. ;)
As it is a more reduced memory usage system.(still losing to dos ;D)

BenYeeHua

After some week, the BSOD that I facing is complete(?) gone.
And I think it is fixed by a Windows Update, so remember to keep it up-to-date to prevent most of the BSOD. ;)

Jeremy Collake

That's good to hear :). Every big release faces these problems, there is always vendor lag, but especially in drivers - ironically where it is most important. The largest issue is the fact that hardware companies have little incentive to update their older drivers. They'd prefer you buy a new model :o.

The new Windows Update is very aggressive at making sure you are forced to reboot to install updates, etc... using a whole screen notification with a mandate instead of a dismissive option.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

QuoteThe new Windows Update is very aggressive at making sure you are forced to reboot to install updates, etc... using a whole screen notification with a mandate instead of a dismissive option.
I don't saw this everytimes I update it, did you has a screenshots of it?

And ya, keep up-to-date is important. ;)
----
The BIOS also update, and it update Graphic card BIOS, maybe it can prevent this problem (for the person without update) too.
And most people don't like windows update, they always say it causing BIOS. ;D
----
QuoteThey'd prefer you buy a new model
But the problem is, the new model don't giving "BIG" performance/power consumption change.
----
And wish you has a Happy New Year. ;)

edkiefer

Quote from: BenYeeHua on December 31, 2012, 06:32:25 AM
I don't saw this everytimes I update it, did you has a screenshots of it?

And ya, keep up-to-date is important. ;)
----
The BIOS also update, and it update Graphic card BIOS, maybe it can prevent this problem (for the person without update) too.
And most people don't like windows update, they always say it causing BIOS. ;D
----But the problem is, the new model don't giving "BIG" performance/power consumption change.
----
And wish you has a Happy New Year. ;)

Win8 is updating bios in MB and graphic card ,by default ?
I rather it doesn't do that in windows since its a low layer, Hardware level best done with no OS running .
I have never updated my graphic card bios and only generally do MB if there issue or the MB had very first version in it .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Nope, I was manual update the BIOS, and this is a notebook, so the Graphic card bios is inside the MB BIOS.
And ya, I am going inside the BIOS and update it, not via WinFlash. ;)
----
PS:Windows will never provide the BIOS as it has a bigger change to flash fail. ;D

edkiefer

ok, I understand .

On bios flash, if you get Dell or at least the one I got in 2005 there update app will install bios or recommend it like windows does with auto-updater . I never used it or allowed it so not sure how it does it (there bios are exe based) .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Yup, it is better that, don't use their auto-update.
After you has try their apps, will you using it for important thing like flash the BIOS? ;)

edkiefer

Yes,  The nice thing with newer MB (Asus Z77) is you now can flash from within bios , from windows and from system off mode with USB stick in back of MB (flashback mode) .

So there many better options than the windows one .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

QuoteYes,  The nice thing with newer MB (Asus Z77) is you now can flash from within bios , from windows and from system off mode with USB stick in back of MB (flashback mode) .
I can doing it with M2A-VM(2007). ;D
And I wonder how they doing this on a Windows RT device. :)

Jeremy Collake

If you recall, way back when, there was a virus that would actually embed itself in some BIOSes by reflashing them. Back when EEPROM BIOSes were first released. That is why the practice of flashing from within a booted OS was nixed for a while, but is back now since BIOSes/UEFI are properly protected or signed with a public-key system. A simple checksum won't work because the BIOS can be so easily reverse engineered to extract the algorithm. A public-key signature can't [plausibly] be defeated with current technology though.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

I still remember, and this is why we has some dual-BIOS/dual-ROM motherboard. ;)

nikkil

I didn't even know that. Anyways, we have really gone far enough already.
You're never a loser until you quit trying.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: nikkil on January 13, 2013, 03:32:43 PM
I didn't even know that. Anyways, we have really gone far enough already.
As always. ;D
----
By looking the screenshots you can't judge the windows 8 is suitable for you or not.
You must try it yourself.
And after a few month with it, I can say it(metro) don't affect much. :)

Jeremy Collake

I don't even use Metro, except when mandatory. That is the real irony. It is just 'there'.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Yup, it is too big/full screen, as I know, many android (phone) user are using "window" to watching anime while browsing. ;)
To making it more easy for "touch" are not too BIG until whole screen, it need to remember it is windows 8, and we has a big screen for it. :)

Jeremy Collake

The day I want to touch my screen will be the day I've made some major life changes. I hate fingerprints, I hate raising my hand. I hate holding a tablet (though like my Galaxy Note I). I still hate touch screens anywhere but on small, ultra-portable devices. The larger public may disagree, I know my wife would. They will just windex their screens (WARNING: don't do this do LCDs, or LED backlit LCDs) and be good with it. I should use my wife as a guinea pig. In fact, she is in some ways. She has an Amazon Kindle. She uses her ages old Netbook everyday instead, never uses the Kindle. Would she touch her netbook if it had a touch screen though? Well, yea, as I gotta admit - trackpads are annoying too.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Ya, maybe they will provide a small touch screen at the up of the keyboard, between the laptop speaker? ;D
----
And yes, I hate when I watching picture, playing game through the fingerprints, dust....
trackpads/touchpad is fine for me, because all the time I just using it to scrolling. ;)

Hotrod

I HATE trackpads...I recommend a small mouse with a nano receiver as they are so small these days you barely notice them. With the right touchpad software it can be made to enable/disable the pad when you plug in the receiver. I sooooo wish they would get the fact that most of us don't really want touchscreens everywhere. They should be optional, not default. Unfortunately the developers at the conference made it clear that they are pushing this on us whether we want it or not. :(

BenYeeHua

Because they only see most of people?

Hotrod

More likely because they only see the potential for $ from new technology on the market. Plain and simple greed. >:(

Jeremy Collake

#75
Check out StartIsBack .. hxyp://startisback.com . Rarely do I recommend someone else's work.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Hotrod

This looks really good. I am very much Anti-Windows 8, but this makes me begin to consider it as an option. The only thing I am wary of is if/when Microsoft decides to cock-block this as they tried to do previously.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Hotrod on January 19, 2013, 06:14:42 PM
This looks really good. I am very much Anti-Windows 8, but this makes me begin to consider it as an option. The only thing I am wary of is if/when Microsoft decides to cock-block this as they tried to do previously.
Ya, and I will like to see what Microsoft will do for the windows blue(9) when they get so many user hate the metro.
Free upgrade?
2 start menu?

hanemach_gt

Quote from: BenYeeHua on January 19, 2013, 11:02:41 PM
Ya, and I will like to see what Microsoft will do for the windows blue(9) when they get so many user hate the metro.
Free upgrade?
2 start menu?

It may be something BenYeeHua proposes, but, in my opinion, MS will rather want us to pay for that *upgrade*.
They will pre-install Windows 8 on most devices and make users see that Windows 9 is going to have Start Menu back, then the users will probably upgrade to Windows 9 and give more $$$ in order to have holy peace.

I can't understand the problem - why doesn't MS offer two installations: Metro for mobiles and old plain with Start Menu for PCs? People will migrate sooner or later anyway, why doing it so forcefully by cutting SM off completely? When somebody can see others having something *cool*, they will give it a try and finally buy it, who wouldn't like to have Internet, games, social networks, documents [...] all in one place?
<img src="[url="http://imageshack.com/a/img913/7827/On37F9.gif"]http://imageshack.com/a/img913/7827/On37F9.gif[/url]"/>

hanemach_gt

#79
Quote from: Jeremy Collake on September 02, 2012, 12:13:12 AM
Screencast of a Windows 8 file copy operation, to get the full effect ... a little zoomed, but I'm not gonna spend all day on it ;p.

http://bitsum.com/video/windows8-file-copy.avi

I didn't use to observe this thread diligently enough, this one is really, sorry for a stupid word, sweet.
<img src="[url="http://imageshack.com/a/img913/7827/On37F9.gif"]http://imageshack.com/a/img913/7827/On37F9.gif[/url]"/>

edkiefer

#80
Quote from: hanemach_gt on January 20, 2013, 05:22:59 AM
I didn't use to observe this thread diligently enough, this one is really, sorry for a stupid word, sweet.

Yes, I could never understand why MS didn't have 2 versions, one for desktop and maybe laptops then one for tablets etc with touch screens .

There trying to cover to much of product area with one OS .

Now there cranking up the prices too .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on January 20, 2013, 08:56:38 AM
Yes, I could never understand why MS didn't have 2 versions, one for desktop and maybe laptops then one for tablets etc with touch screens .

There trying to cover to much of product area with one OS .

Now there cranking up the prices too .
Ya, and the news about Windows RT to running the x86 apps. :o

Jeremy Collake

To add to Windows 8 annoyances... it is easy to inadvertently have a file opened in Metro, causing it to lock the file. You won't notice while in the traditional shell. The same is true vice-versa.

For instance, the other day I was 'downloading to PDF' from Google Docs. Well, the Adobe PDF reader, a Metro app, would hold a PDF open in Metro when I viewed it. If I wanted to replace that file, I had to switch to Metro, close the file in the PDF viewer, then update the file.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on January 24, 2013, 08:04:01 PM
To add to Windows 8 annoyances... it is easy to inadvertently have a file opened in Metro, causing it to lock the file. You won't notice while in the traditional shell. The same is true vice-versa.

For instance, the other day I was 'downloading to PDF' from Google Docs. Well, the Adobe PDF reader, a Metro app, would hold a PDF open in Metro when I viewed it. If I wanted to replace that file, I had to switch to Metro, close the file in the PDF viewer, then update the file.
Strange...
My first time is the windows ask me wanna to use which software to open it, at the upper right corner.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: BenYeeHua on January 25, 2013, 03:01:49 AM
My first time is the windows ask me wanna to use which software to open it, at the upper right corner.

I am curious how many people reach up and touch their non-touch LCDs when they see those ;)
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on February 05, 2013, 12:41:36 AM
I am curious how many people reach up and touch their non-touch LCDs when they see those ;)
Not me. ;D

Phil

I have Windows 8 Pro x64 on my laptop (upgraded from Windows 7) and the overall schematics of the OS is fantastic. Juxtaposing Desktop / Modern UI apps can sometimes be an nuisance but the added enhancements such as the revamped Task Manager to the file ribbon in Explorer are nice. People who say they want the Start Menu back, uh... it's already there! Just a simple hover on the left edge of the screen or clicking the Windows key and viola, you're in the Start screen. But I can understand people's gripes for that change and others due to what someone stated earlier in this thread, which are habits.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Phil on February 19, 2013, 10:17:51 AM
I have Windows 8 Pro x64 on my laptop (upgraded from Windows 7) and the overall schematics of the OS is fantastic. Juxtaposing Desktop / Modern UI apps can sometimes be an nuisance but the added enhancements such as the revamped Task Manager to the file ribbon in Explorer are nice. People who say they want the Start Menu back, uh... it's already there! Just a simple hover on the left edge of the screen or clicking the Windows key and viola, you're in the Start screen. But I can understand people's gripes for that change and others due to what someone stated earlier in this thread, which are habits.
Yes, they hate the Full screen. ;)
They want to see other apps showing its states when opening other software via Start Menu. :)

Jeremy Collake

Yea, it's all about the flip of the screen for me. I suppose it makes sense to do that for most users who are launching some new application and will be totally emersed in it. However, for me, having several things running, I may very well be launching something to compliment a program already in use. The flip of the screen is a distraction to me.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on February 19, 2013, 04:26:44 PM
Yea, it's all about the flip of the screen for me. I suppose it makes sense to do that for most users who are launching some new application and will be totally emersed in it. However, for me, having several things running, I may very well be launching something to compliment a program already in use. The flip of the screen is a distraction to me.
And this.

Working on Laptop, someone come and looking at the laptop.
Click Start Button.
All he/she see is just Start Menu.
Finish. ;)
The boss key don't need anymore, except he/she know how to using Windows 8. ;D

BenYeeHua

This is what I can show when they think Windows 8 Fastboot has some issues. 8)

edkiefer

how is that suppose to read ?
days, hours, min , seconds
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on April 09, 2013, 08:23:55 AM
how is that suppose to read ?
days, hours, min , seconds
Correct. ;)
I am very surprised that only 2GB is used after boot, it look like Windows itself don't has heavy memory leak after the shutdown(It is a Mini Hibernate for the fastboot.) :)

edkiefer

I guess that depends on whats installed an running .

My Win7 uses around 1.10GB at desktop , 2.2GB if Palemoon running (30+ tabs ) .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on April 09, 2013, 10:12:14 AM
I guess that depends on whats installed an running .

My Win7 uses around 1.10GB at desktop , 2.2GB if Palemoon running (30+ tabs ) .
Yup, but you forgot the windows file cache that don't show in Memory usage. ;)
It always make every software/browser smooth as the cache(picture etc) keep in the memory.
After starting a game, and close it, the windows file cache will increase much, so increase the Ram and don't shutdown the computer too much will keep it snappy(if the cache don't miss) when you are facing loading screen. :)
----
Just 2.3GB with Nightly running, maybe give it a restart to check how much memory leak after a week+5days. :D

edkiefer

Yes, your right .
I am not a fan of sleep/hibernation (energy saving modes) so I normally shut system down at night unless DL'ing some big .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on April 09, 2013, 01:23:00 PM
Yes, your right .
I am not a fan of sleep/hibernation (energy saving modes) so I normally shut system down at night unless DL'ing some big .
Sleep/Hibernate will be useful for some jobs that can't pause, close the program, and continue like converting. ;)
And yes, many people let the computer download at midnight, so the download don't bite your resource for browsing/watching etc for the normal time. :)

BenYeeHua

#97
Just restart and found today is another Windows Update day. ;)
Only get 1.9GB memory usage, so the windows itself only has 0.1GB memory leak, not so bad.
I think this is because it making the feature into services, so when it shutdown, it stop all the services, and the leak gone. :)
----
lol, my windows update history is gone, as I just using the troubleshooter.
But I still got the installed date in the Programs and Features. ;D
----
So I just disable the service that boot Android emulator, and installed Windows Update.
After Boot finish-1.7GB
After a few seconds-Drop to 1.5GB, then rise to 1.6GB.
Start Nightly-1.9GB
Not so bad. ;)

BenYeeHua

Wow, so the update has reduce some many memory usage. :o
Microsoft really want to getting back the tablet market.

edkiefer

are you running tests with all app shutdown, just windows running  .

OT:I wonder when MS will fix that platform update they did for win7 and IE10 , seems it affected many users with various vid cards .
Bitsum QA Engineer