Gaming mode for mixing and recording?

Started by JHugg, July 23, 2015, 03:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHugg

Hello!

I read the audiophile paper, and it seems geared to listening to playback on an optimized Windows server machine, which I don't think many people have! :)

The situation I'm curious about is when using recording or mixing software on a Windows 10 machine, and how that might be optimized, and if Gaming mode would be applicable.

Thanks,

JH

edkiefer

Quote from: JHugg on July 23, 2015, 03:45:02 PM
Hello!

I read the audiophile paper, and it seems geared to listening to playback on an optimized Windows server machine, which I don't think many people have! :)

The situation I'm curious about is when using recording or mixing software on a Windows 10 machine, and how that might be optimized, and if Gaming mode would be applicable.

Thanks,

JH
Hi, Can't talk on Win10 yet, but "game mode" can be used very well with other app too .
It is basically for any foreground application that you want to focus on, and have other back ground app interfere with it less .

You have all the features available as with all processes (Priorities, Affinity, I/O, editing ) along with probalance , plus game mode options (power profiles, smartTrim etc ).

Best I can say is try it , first with just defaults .
Then you can try with enabling your app in game mode (very easy to do, just right click on process in list and pick "classify as game" .

If you want to go further you can adjust affinities so less clashing with other app, Windows has tendency to use CPU 0 , so sometimes setting up app so they don't overlap can help, but this needs testing and experimentation on your end as each system will react differently depending on HW and software loaded .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yes, Gaming Mode specifically also engages the Bitsum Highest Performance Power Plan.

This power plan is pre-configured to disable CPU core parking and CPU frequency scaling, both of which are very detrimental to bursting CPU loads like audio playback and processing.

It is unfortunate that we named the mode 'Gaming Mode', but you might as well consider it 'High Performance Mode'.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

JHugg

Thanks for the quick replies!  8)

edkiefer, thanks for the tips. Classifying a process as a game sounds better than turning game mode on and off when I need it.

Jeremy, some (too many) laptops are known to suffer badly for professional audio purposes, due to the power saving devices you mentioned, core parking and frequency scaling. Plus networking components can hang things up like crazy.

There's a big problem with these laptops: the usual solution of disabling those power saving attributes in the BIOS is unavailable. Can Process Lasso help in this situation?

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: JHugg on July 23, 2015, 04:37:06 PM
There's a big problem with these laptops: the usual solution of disabling those power saving attributes in the BIOS is unavailable. Can Process Lasso help in this situation?

Yes, it does these very things (disable core parking and frequency scaling) without needing any BIOS adjustments ;).

JHugg

I don't have a laptop, but I'll find someone to try it.

Thanks!

Jeremy Collake

I do - and I know it works. It doesn't use low-level hardware interfaces to accomplish this.

CPU Core Parking and Frequency Scaling are both settings of Windows power profiles, though the former is hidden.

See https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol for more information ...

JHugg