Autoupdate not Functional

Started by noahphense, July 26, 2019, 03:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahphense

Have to manually check, to get updates.  Here is the versioning gap (see image).  I wont know if its fixed in the 9303v until 12+ hours from now.

Cheers!

edkiefer

What is your "check for updates every..." value, 12hrs? There was not many beta's between those, I think only one maybe two and beta's can be more than one a day sometimes.

Will look into, it was just tested a few builds back.

PS: try to toggle never and 12hrs setting one time too, that may help.
Bitsum QA Engineer

noahphense

I tried the toggle a few days ago. As noted I’ve since moved to the latest beta manually.  I always set it for 12 hours. 

At the time of my first post was when I moved to 9303.  I guess we’ll see if I get a notification of the next version.

Cheers!

edkiefer

Quote from: noahphense on July 26, 2019, 08:05:35 PM
I tried the toggle a few days ago. As noted I’ve since moved to the latest beta manually.  I always set it for 12 hours. 

At the time of my first post was when I moved to 9303.  I guess we’ll see if I get a notification of the next version.

Cheers!
Well don't worry, we are testing it now.

Thanks for report either way.
Bitsum QA Engineer

noahphense

No worries.  ;)

Just reporting.  LOVE this app.

Cheers!

noahphense

So, I'll leave this item alone now.  I've confirmed the 12h auto-notification is broken.

That is apparently the new version.  I'm going to manually update now, as it is almost 24 hours.

Cheers.

edkiefer

That's odd it is working here for me. I have hr setting with the option "update w/o prompt" on.
I got 9.3.0.5 w/o me even noticing.

Let's see if other systems pass too.

Edit: looks like there may be issues w/o "update without prompt" enabled. We are looking into it.
Bitsum QA Engineer

noahphense

Yeah I don’t have “update w/o prompt” checked.

Jeremy Collake

I looked into this, and below is my current theory. Ed is still validating it, but I'll go ahead and take the leap:

The new design is based around a system tray notification, requiring a click of the update available message to see the update dialog.

If this system tray notification is suppressed or simply times out, it won't show again until the check interval elapses.

This is why it is working with 'update w/o prompt', as that doesn't require the notification be clicked.

Solution: I need to add an 'update available' indicator to the main window, or maybe force the update available dialog to show like it used to. That way if the notification is suppressed or missed, you'll still have some indicator. Pending.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

Tentative resolution. In updates *from* v9.3.0.7 and later:

In the event the update available notification is missed or suppressed, the update dialog will show the next time the Process Lasso main window is opened.

noahphense

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on July 27, 2019, 11:12:55 AMSolution: I need to add an 'update available' indicator to the main window, or maybe force the update available dialog to show like it used to. That way if the notification is suppressed or missed, you'll still have some indicator. Pending.

Hey Jeremy, I think you are dead on with the guess.  I do not have any notifications turned on.  With that said, I think a trayicon swap (as a notification) would be fantastic with no mid-screen popup, and no popup text above the tray-icon.

A lot of people turn off system wide notifications.  Especially when they are recording, as they will get knocked out of fullscreen mode.

Cheers!

noahphense

Even a simple color change could work out.  Just throwing stuff around.

Cheers!

Jeremy Collake

Glad that was it, and I'm glad you mentioned this!

Adhering to the user's 'do not disturb' preferences is why the design was changed. No more tossing up a window in the foreground.

Changing the system tray icon when an update is pending is a good idea. Whether a secondary, distinct icon, or changing the primary... However, I am not sure I want to fiddle with it this beta series. Maybe.

The new method of showing the update available dialog the next time the main window is shown seems to work well.

I also added a classic update available window 10 seconds after startup, presumably the user is going to be around then and won't have active work in other windows that we'd be interrupting. That should cover those who never see the notifications and rarely open the GUI.

I'll keep considering the new design. No matter what, it isn't as assertive, and thus not as inclusive, as the old design, but that is the idea.

noahphense

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on July 27, 2019, 01:40:24 PMAdhering to the user's 'do not disturb' preferences is why the design was changed. No more tossing up a window in the foreground.

v9.3.0.7 beta is now available.

Very good, that sums up this thread for me.  One follow-up question on the topic of "Update Without Prompt".  If I use this option, will it knock me out of fullscreen during the update?

ps - thx for the 0.7

Cheers!

noahphense

Oops, you might have left out the new version info in the 0.7, as I can continuously update myself to 0.7.

Cheers!

UPDATE:
Now it doesn't show anymore updates, but the about screen shows this.

Jeremy Collake

Oops! I actually forgot to upload it. Was too preoccupied over here ;). No matter, v9.3.0.9 is about 10 minutes away.

I need to test the behavior of the promptless updates to give you a certain answer as to whether it will drop you out of full-screen mode. It shouldn't, but may. If it does, that can be fixed.

(edit to prior):
v9.3.0.9 has a classic update available dialog 10 seconds after startup, presumably when the user is going to be around and won't have active work in other windows that we'd be interrupting. That should cover those who never see the notifications and rarely open the GUI.

noahphense

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on July 27, 2019, 02:06:29 PMI need to test the behavior of the promptless updates to give you a certain answer as to whether it will drop you out of full-screen mode. It shouldn't, but may. If it does, that can be fixed.

Thanks, that would be great to know.

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on July 27, 2019, 02:06:29 PMv9.3.0.9 has a classic update available dialog 10 seconds after startup, presumably when the user is going to be around and won't have active work in other windows that we'd be interrupting. That should cover those who never see the notifications and rarely open the GUI.

That would be awesome, for a boot up and reboots catch!

I know you're super busy.  My apologies for any distractions.  Now get back to work.    ;D

Cheers!

edkiefer

I am pretty sure last night it did a promptless auto-update while I was playing BFv. I first thought it didn't update but checked version to find it did. all done w/o notice.

We can test it more too.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I got around to testing full-screen interruptions while preparing for release.

For you, with notifications disabled, promptless updates would not impact full-screen activity.

For those with notifications enabled, the post-update notification was the only thing that was causing an interruption. It is now fixed.

noahphense

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on July 30, 2019, 11:15:48 AM
I got around to testing full-screen interruptions while preparing for release.

For you, with notifications disabled, promptless updates would not impact full-screen activity.

For those with notifications enabled, the post-update notification was the only thing that was causing an interruption. It is now fixed.

Very cool, thanks for the update.

Cheers!