Version 8 Beta Progress (v7.9 beta)

Started by chris635, March 04, 2015, 08:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris635

Hey Jeremy,

How's version 8 coming along bud?
Chris

BenYeeHua

There is always the same answer for software, when it is done. ;)

PS:I am very sure I am not talking about Rockstar. ;D

chris635

Chris

Jeremy Collake

It's coming along quite well.

A developer chooses one of two paths.

One path leads to him later running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

The other path (proper planning and design) leads to a smooth release.

It's underway, and while I suspended betas this last month for reasons described at https://bitsum.wordpress.com , certainly don't expect anything BUT  Process Lasso 8.0 to come. Sure as the sun sets. Or judge from history, where I always meet my mark. This is my life, and if 8.0 doesn't release, that must mean I'm dead.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

But, you can just jump over 8.0 and release 9.0. ;D

chris635

No no no, you have to skip version 9.0 and go straight to version 10 lol !...Microsoft does it, why cant you.  ;D
Chris

chris635

I was reading your word press...sounds like you have been really busy. Thank you for your hard work, and I will continue to support you any way I can.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Thanks guys!

Yea, marketing version numbers mean very little. They are more psych than anything.

I actually appreciate you holding me accountable, but you'll see soon ;). It may take a few more weeks to roll EVERYTHING out, but there's a lot to roll out.

Jeremy Collake

Also, I must admit, it's nice to have any *critical* bugs to have to back-port, or rush a new release out for. That says a lot.

You guys just got spoiled by daily beta updates ;)

chris635

Us spoiled by you..never  :o.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

7.9.3.3 beta is building now, btw. Enabling SmartTrim exclusions. Just so everyone knows the ball is rolling.

BenYeeHua

And it will kill us! ;D

edkiefer

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 06, 2015, 11:58:21 AM
Here is the back-story:

https://bitsum.wordpress.com/2015/03/06/process-lasso-v8-public-beta-continues/

As much as I can tell of it anyway. I hate being under restrictions.
I guess you know this, but "smarttrim exclusions . the option under smartrim settings>configuring excluding processes doen't seem active but I do see option for right click on process .
Last, I have smartrim set to default >"let smartrim decide when to act" but this option never seems to trim anything ,if I do manual trim it does trim .
I know I have mentioned this before, but just refreshing feedback, since ita been a while .

Edit: this is on latest beta today 7.9.3.3 beta .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yes, I know. I will make quick work of those items.

I did want to leave anyone waiting :).

Thanks

Jeremy Collake

I corrected the change log, those 'TODO' statements left.

https://bitsum.com/changelog/pl/changes.htm#latest

I would guess the full exclusions dialog will come next build or so, then ancillary capabilities.

Jeremy Collake

You guys didn't really think Bitsum would just leave you hanging, did you?

Even if I got hit by a bus, I have set up contingency plans.

Version 8 will come about mid March. A couple weeks later than I hoped, but not bad.

chris635

We'll lets not talk about buses quite just yet  lol! :)
Chris

Jeremy Collake

yet!? You guys taking out life insurance policies on me?

I'm only in my mid 30s, so plenty of career left, God willing.

chris635

LOL! Take care man and take your time with version 8. I am trying myself to get the word out about Process Lasso.

Chris
Chris

Jeremy Collake

:)

I am finishing the SmartTrim exclusions dialog now. So, it'll be in the next beta build.

Jeremy Collake

Done. 7.9.3.5 beta.

Still need to add a 'Clear' button, it's part of some generalized code, hence wasn't a quickie.

Like I said, it'll roll fast from here on out.

Thank you all for your support. You make this possible in this most real way there is.

chris635

Is it Chooe or Choose, I just can't tell...lol
Chris

Jeremy Collake

LOL, my eyes are going out (literally). Thanks.

chris635

Hey Jeremy,
   There is another little bug in the latest beta. I have the process icons showing on both my laptop and desktop. When I updated to the beta, it still show the icons but option for it was unchecked. I checked it, then unchecked it and they are still there.
Chris

chris635

A reboot will not fix it.  ;)
Chris

BenYeeHua

Yup, this is a known bug, after the default config was changed to show the icon. ;)

edkiefer

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 06, 2015, 11:41:21 PM
Done. 7.9.3.5 beta.

Still need to add a 'Clear' button, it's part of some generalized code, hence wasn't a quickie.

Like I said, it'll roll fast from here on out.

Thank you all for your support. You make this possible in this most real way there is.
Confirmed , last 2 issues with smartrim are fixed now .
It did a auto trim and did trim (FF) w/o issue .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Quote from: BenYeeHua on March 07, 2015, 05:29:23 AM
Yup, this is a known bug, after the default config was changed to show the icon. ;)

Okay..known bug got it.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

I'm still working on this a bit, but the plan is to have a little button to show/hide icons to the left of the upper tabs. When it's pressed (remains depressed type), it shows icons.

Why? Third-party shell extensions crash within my code and it's hard to tell a user 'Oh, that's not my fault, that's some malware ;p'.

This way, users who want icons have an easy and clear way to show them. And if it's a problem, users clearly see where the problem lies (though not clearly that it's not /w Lasso).

BenYeeHua

Yup, the hardest thing is to explain to people that don't understand... :P

Jeremy Collake

It's actually also an asset.

Once you have thoroughly enough learned a subject, you can then move on to the best way to express that subject to the laymen. When you master that, then you are truly a guru ;)

Jeremy Collake

Thanks, I may have caught that in review, but I will be sure it's fixed now ;)

edkiefer

Are all of these functions working ?

[MemoryManagement]
SmartTrimIsEnabled=true
SmartTrimAutoSchedule=true
SmartTrimAutoMinimumRAMLoad=75
TrimAllProcessesAtThisIntervalInMs=0

The smarttrimautominiumram one doesn't see to be working , judging from results 25 to 75%

Will you have a schedule time value for Auto smart trim ,instead of fixed 15min ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on March 12, 2015, 12:40:20 PM
Will you have a schedule time value for Auto smart trim ,instead of fixed 15min ?

I can add a setting. Probably won't expose it in the UI though, unless there is a reason. Trying to reduce clutter, etc..

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on March 12, 2015, 12:40:20 PM
Are all of these functions working ?

[MemoryManagement]
SmartTrimIsEnabled=true

The smarttrimautominiumram one doesn't see to be working , judging from results 25 to 75%

The UI is malfunctioning in the last beta if you select 65% (no checkbox there). That is the only error known. I was hastened to issue another beta, and this was in progress. Still deciding how I want to expose it all in the UI.

Jeremy Collake

On the icon issue ---

The 'Show process icons' setting has been moved out of the INI and into the registry.

As I finish work on it, I'll make sure it's 100%, and that any prior selection is migrated.

This may cause a temporary disparity in settings for some *beta* users (the risk you take). Final->Final upgrade paths I always ensure are good, but not final->beta->beta->final .. You get the drift.

edkiefer

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 12, 2015, 01:58:06 PM
The UI is malfunctioning in the last beta if you select 65% (no checkbox there). That is the only error known. I was hastened to issue another beta, and this was in progress. Still deciding how I want to expose it all in the UI.
Yes, the 65% checkbox is not showing , but I was manually setting 25 and 75% in ini file .

Just to make sure I understand .
With 25% smarttrim should trim if system memory usage is 26%> and 75% ,means only after 75% of system memory is in use ?

Just trying to make sure I understand what is is suppose to do .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Quote from: edkiefer on March 12, 2015, 03:09:51 PM
Yes, the 65% checkbox is not showing , but I was manually setting 25 and 75% in ini file .

Just to make sure I understand .
With 25% smarttrim should trim if system memory usage is 26%> and 75% ,means only after 75% of system memory is in use ?

Just trying to make sure I understand what is is suppose to do .

New beta out now 7.9.5.9b. Should be showing now. At least it is on mine.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Below a RAM Load of X percent (SmartTrimAutoMinimumRAMLoad), SmartTrim will never take any action. It presumes no action is necessary.

65% was oddly inserted because I didn't like 50 or 75 as a default. Like I said, I'm still working on the presentation.

Functionally, it should work fine.

chris635

Jeremy, do you need me to run a couple of system stress testers to check things out a little more? Or is this not much of a concern any more?
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Everything is always a concern for me ;).

But the answer is that I've not done my final review of this code, so it's either too early to go bug hunting, or just the right time --- depending on how much of your own time you want to expend.

Thanks!

edkiefer

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 12, 2015, 03:14:22 PM
Below a RAM Load of X percent (SmartTrimAutoMinimumRAMLoad), SmartTrim will never take any action. It presumes no action is necessary.

65% was oddly inserted because I didn't like 50 or 75 as a default. Like I said, I'm still working on the presentation.

Functionally, it should work fine.
Ok, I have smarttrim set to "let smartrim decide when to trim" and I had 50% setting but my load was only 25-30% and it did do a trim .

I have it at 75% now , so for sure it should not trim anything, if i understand right . (this % threshold is made to work with smarttrim ) .

Edit: I am on 7.9.5.9 beta

Edit2 I am still seeing trimming done with 75% setting but my ram load is 25-30%.
here what ini looks like

SmartTrimIsEnabled=true

So I don't think its using the % values yet .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 12, 2015, 02:04:25 PM
On the icon issue ---

The 'Show process icons' setting has been moved out of the INI and into the registry.

As I finish work on it, I'll make sure it's 100%, and that any prior selection is migrated.

This may cause a temporary disparity in settings for some *beta* users (the risk you take). Final->Final upgrade paths I always ensure are good, but not final->beta->beta->final .. You get the drift.
So you means that, if we want to avoid this issues, then just final->beta->beta->beta... ;D

Jeremy Collake

chris635

I have smart trim set to it's own decision with a 25% limit. Does smart trim not work with no limit set? When I have no limit set It does not run.  Jeeze...beta's.... can't live with them, can't live with out them  ;D.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

With no limit set, then it isn't inhibited by your 25% minimum. So, should have worked, and I will check it. Thanks!

chris635

It's finicky, sometimes it will work and when I reboot it wont work. I have been trying last 6 hrs but to no avail.
Chris

edkiefer

getting odd behavior with game mode getting toggled when playing a game (BF4) .
I see in log game mode is on, off , on, off etc , power profile is also geting back and forth since game mode is .
It is changing within a min time . I see smarttrim trimming BF4 too .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

The 'skip if game' I just added.

Other sporadic behavior, not sure about, but similar tidbits I'm tying up, I would imagine.

edkiefer

ok, I turned smarttrim off during game, and not seeing the on, off with game mode now .
will need more time though to be sure .
Bitsum QA Engineer