Data Execution Prevention

Started by walster, July 08, 2008, 04:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walster

When I compress an executable and try to run it in Vista over a network connection (VPN), Windows refuses to let it run and I get a Data Execution Prevention error. I cannot change the settings to override this. This is from the help topic that pops up:

What is Data Execution Prevention?

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature that can help prevent damage to your computer from viruses and other security threats. Harmful programs can try to attack Windows by attempting to run (also known as execute) code from system memory locations reserved for Windows and other authorized programs. These types of attacks can harm your programs and files.

DEP can help protect your computer by monitoring your programs to make sure that they use system memory safely. If DEP notices a program on your computer using memory incorrectly, it closes the program and notifies you.

Hotrod

Not sure about Vista, but in XP you go to control panel, then system, then advanced tab, then performance, then DEP tab. It can be turned off there. Look in the same area in Vista it might or might not be there. ???

Jeremy Collake

PECompact is designed to work with DEP (it can even help enforce it, see /emp:y). I'm not sure what the problem is when launching executables over a VPN, but I will test that scenario out and make appropriate fixes. Thanks for reporting the problem. I will post updates in this thread.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.