Auto Log Rotation

Started by Coldblackice, February 25, 2021, 08:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coldblackice

Would it be possible to get an auto log-rotation function, which saves logs to CSV in intervals? I can see in the log output folder that the ability is already there, albeit in non-CSV format.

This would be helpful as there are times when I look back in the log and investigate something anomalous, it's helpful to be able to see what other system actions/launches/terminations happened around that same time.

edkiefer

Quote from: Coldblackice on February 25, 2021, 08:35:21 PM
Would it be possible to get an auto log-rotation function, which saves logs to CSV in intervals? I can see in the log output folder that the ability is already there, albeit in non-CSV format.

This would be helpful as there are times when I look back in the log and investigate something anomalous, it's helpful to be able to see what other system actions/launches/terminations happened around that same time.
Did you know all those log entries are now in CSV format (processlasso.log.0 - processlasso.log.9).

Also, there is a new sampling log data that can run at X intervals (options>log settings>configure sampling), but it is more of a process list info than action log data (no action data).
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

As of v10 (now in beta), the logs are all CSV.

There are also some new registry settings to control the rotation rate and depth, which I'll document soon.

This should allow for what you want.

I invite you to try it if you feel adventurous. I always appreciate your feedback.

Currently, the v10 release is scheduled for a couple weeks.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Coldblackice

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on February 26, 2021, 01:23:58 PM
As of v10 (now in beta), the logs are all CSV.

There are also some new registry settings to control the rotation rate and depth, which I'll document soon.

This should allow for what you want.

I invite you to try it if you feel adventurous. I always appreciate your feedback.

Currently, the v10 release is scheduled for a couple weeks.
I totally spaced seeing these responses. Awesome, thank you. And yes, I've been enjoying using the betas, and would be happy to experiment with those additional registry options if possible. Are those documented somewhere?

Jeremy Collake

Only one ended up making it to the release build:

Path: HKLM\Software\ProcessLasso
Value: MaxLogFileSize
Type: DWORD
Desc: Max log file size in bytes before rotation occurs.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Coldblackice

Awesome, thanks. Please let us know if/when you add more!