Quick Filters on the Action Log

Started by Coldblackice, February 12, 2021, 11:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coldblackice

It would be awesome if a quick-filters ability could be added to the Actions Log pane, boxes at the top of each column (or just one all-encompassing box) where whatever is typed live-filters the entries. It'd be super useful to be able to filter the commandline column for switches, for example, or the actions column for certain actions, or the datetime column to see the entries during a particular time window.

Not a huge deal of course, just would be pretty handy.

Jeremy Collake

How is that different from the filter box already present over the right side of actions pane? It should function exactly as you describe, an all-encompassing live filter of the actions listview.

The filter boxes aren't very visible in dark mode, but a pending change will make the background of the filter edit controls darker than the main window background.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Coldblackice

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on February 15, 2021, 11:50:41 AM
How is that different from the filter box already present over the right side of actions pane? It should function exactly as you describe, an all-encompassing live filter of the actions listview.

The filter boxes aren't very visible in dark mode, but a pending change will make the background of the filter edit controls darker than the main window background.
Well I'll be damned! Look at that, right there in front of me under my nose. And even one for the process pane, too!

Ha awesome, this is great. Thanks for the heads-up. Good idea about the color differentiation of the input boxes.

Jeremy Collake

They are definitely easy to miss in dark mode. I'm working on it ;). Planned to improve by v10. Dark Mode has been quite painful to implement properly.

Jeremy Collake

This is now improved as of v10.0.133 beta:

(133) GUI/LogViewer: In dark mode, make filter edit control backgrounds darker than parent to increase visibility

Coldblackice

Wow, this looks fantastic! It looks great and is noticeable right away that there's a filter box/feature there, while contrasting well with the surrounding gray, and it's even accentuated well by the filter icon, which also helps bring notice to it. Nicely done!