A question about Processor Group Extender

Started by Jibroni, October 17, 2021, 07:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jibroni

:-\ So from my understanding of Processor Group Extender is it forces an application to use the full CPU. So is this meant to be used only for CPU's that have 64 logical cores, or can I also used it on a 16 thread CPU? And can I use it on a video game? Will it, for instance force a single threaded game to use more of it? It sounds scary, so I figured I'd ask around first before trying it. What does "group unaware application" mean exactly?

Link: https://bitsum.com/processlasso-docs/#groupextend

Jeremy Collake

The Processor Group Extender is only for systems with more than 64 logical CPUs. On these systems, the CPUs get grouped into sets of 64 or less, and if an application isn't aware of this grouping, it can't schedule threads on the full CPU since it will see only one of the CPU groups.

This feature has no other use case.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jibroni

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on October 18, 2021, 07:35:27 AM
The Processor Group Extender is only for systems with more than 64 logical CPUs. On these systems, the CPUs get grouped into sets of 64 or less, and if an application isn't aware of this grouping, it can't schedule threads on the full CPU since it will see only one of the CPU groups.

This feature has no other use case.

:) I see, thanks.