Ryzen Question

Started by flyg, November 03, 2021, 04:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyg

Hi,

Just wondering if I should use bitsum high performance or leave it as balanced? AMD have said their chips are designed to run at balanced profile (at least for windows 11) so I was wondering how accurate that actually is and if im hurting things forcing high..

(its 5800x so there is no ryzen balanced, they just say leave it as windows balanced)

Jeremy Collake

This is not an unreasonable question. One might theorize that for some bursting loads, having been in 'Balanced' might allow more Precision Boost headroom. However, there is no evidence of that, and my intuition is that the inefficiencies inherent to CPU ramp-up from low power states well exceeds any theoretical advantage of using 'Balanced' on these platforms. For this reason, I advise use of 'Bitsum Highest Performance'.

Of course, it is up to you. You can choose which power profile to associate with Process Lasso's Performance Mode via the menu item 'Power / Performance Mode / Select Power Profile...', and/or use additional power profile automation capabilities to run the power profile that matches your application load.

Finally, I think the take-away from advice to use 'Balanced' is that the power profile now performs better on Ryzen platforms than it once did, having inherited from the short-lived 'Ryzen Balanced' power profile.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.