Stopped and restarted Process Lasso

Started by Tarnak, September 24, 2021, 12:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarnak

However, when I tried to access the log it came up blank.  It had been using alot of CPU cycles, I thought.

P.S. After a few minutes it has started working, and the logging shows.

Jeremy Collake

What version of Process Lasso is this?

Theorizing, particularly with older versions (e.g. v9), it is possible that on low-powered PCs or devices with slow storage, such a delay could be seen under some circumstances when the log is being initially loaded into the listview. You can disable logging on these devices, and clear the log, to eliminate the startup delay. Assuming this was the cause, you likely exacerbated the condition by opening the LogViewer at the same time.

If it happens again, open Task Manager, Details pane, find ProcessLasso.exe, right-click and 'Create Dump'. Then upload to https://bitsum.com/minidumps .

Thank you
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Tarnak

Jeremy Collake

That doesn't look inappropriate.

An option to limit how many log records are loaded into the listview at startup is now planned, to improve the startup time of the Process Lasso GUI on under-powered systems.

Until available, I suggest simply dealing with the occasional delay when Process Lasso first opens after being restarted.

I'll post here when the new option is available.

Jeremy Collake

v10.3.0.23 beta:

(23) GUI: Add menu item 'Options / Log / Set Max Log File Size' to set corresponding registry value

Set it to something lower than the default of 262144, like maybe 16384.

And/or you can set the 'Clear Log At Exit' option.

Either should resolve the delay in log population at startup.

Setting a reduced default log limit on under-powered systems is planned.

Tarnak

I have the latest beta, and made the recommended changes, but  PL still uses excessive CPU. Perhaps, you disagree.

Tarnak

I just tried this a short time ago: I added ProcessLasso.exe to Webroot SecureAnywhere, and this has done the trick to ease CPU usage.

Jeremy Collake

Ah, great going! That makes perfect sense. Security software can sometimes cause excessive CPU use that shows up in other processes, due to the way the security software hooks work.

Tarnak

I thought it was fixed, but resuming with the laptop from sleep/hibernation,  the problem is back. Looks like I will have to do a restart shutdown. Everything I do through the desktop is slow as molasses.

Tarnak

Taking the leaf out of another recent topic, I noticed this. Maybe, it has some relevancy to my problem, too.

Jeremy Collake

No, that doesn't have anything to do with it. That event just records the power profile change.

Whatever the cause, I don't think it is the fault of Process Lasso. What sort of hardware are you running on this PC? You should definitely get rid of that Webroot software, it will be taxing everything, and it doesn't look like a system with much extra capacity.

Tarnak

I have been using Process Lasso since version 3, on XP desktop together with WSA [formerly Prevx].

Then went to Windows 10 Pro in 2016, i.e. Microsoft Surface Book laptop which died July 2021.

Now, I am with a much cheaper HP laptop running Windows 10 Home. Don't want to get a more expensive laptop, for the time being.

I will persevere with running both PL and WSA. Thanks, for your time.

Tarnak