Not Functional With Xbox Game Bar or Something

Started by nah1982, April 06, 2023, 11:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nah1982

I have an AMD 7950X3D. It's interaction via driver with Windows XBox Game Bar is to park the CCD2 cores/threads.

I want to block that. I tried with just ParkControl and it didn't block them. I uninstalled the XBox Game Bar app, rebooted, and it was still not blocked.

Not sure what I am doing wrong, or if ParkControl can handle this situation?

Thanks!

Jeremy Collake

No, ParkControl won't be effective to change that behavior. The 7950X3D optimizations activated by the Game Bar make use of core parking, and since they are implemented by the chipset drivers, will override any power plan settings.

Why do you want to prohibit it from parking the other CCD?

Generally, you want the other CCD to be parked while you're gaming. If those additional CPU cores are needed by the game or other processes, that CCD should wake up to handle the load.

If you want a game to prefer the other CCD (X3D cache or higher frequency), then that's a different question. There's a whitelist somewhere, but I don't know if it can be edited by the user.

The BIOS setting 'CPPC Dynamic Preferred Cores' maybe can be used to change or disable the parking behavior, but you'll be giving up the 7950X3D game CCD targeting optimizations.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

nah1982

Appreciate the follow-up and detail; understood.

I want to control the parking, as there are some games shown to perform better on the higher clocking non-X3D cores. Additionally, I don't want them parked as I have other processes running I want forced onto those cores vs. not and parking interferes with their responsiveness.

It's a nice idea in theory; the implementation route they took is clunky though as it doesn't allow for any easy, direct modification of the rules IMO.

Anyways, thanks again for your help!