High Priority Class, Game Mode or both?

Started by desiree101, February 09, 2016, 10:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desiree101

Hello everyone! I am very new to Process Lasso, and so far I really like it, although there is so much to it, I'm not sure if I'm utilising it right. I have a couple of game I like to play which can be quite sluggish sometimes. Process Lasso has been very helpful in reducing lag but I really want to make sure I'm using it properly so I was wondering what is best, setting the game at high priority or enabling game mode - or both? Should I disable Pro Balance on it too (I guess if its high priority Pro Balance doesn't touch it, right?) If I just enable Game Mode for the game, should I let Pro Balance control it too?

edkiefer

Quote from: desiree101 on February 09, 2016, 10:19:23 AM
Hello everyone! I am very new to Process Lasso, and so far I really like it, although there is so much to it, I'm not sure if I'm utilising it right. I have a couple of game I like to play which can be quite sluggish sometimes. Process Lasso has been very helpful in reducing lag but I really want to make sure I'm using it properly so I was wondering what is best, setting the game at high priority or enabling game mode - or both? Should I disable Pro Balance on it too (I guess if its high priority Pro Balance doesn't touch it, right?) If I just enable Game Mode for the game, should I let Pro Balance control it too?
First I suggest you to read over PL features and how it works , basically it will dynamically in real time adjust all the back ground processes so your focused (for-ground ) process is affected the least amount . Windows by default prioritizes foreground processes.
https://products.bitsum.com/how-probalance-works/

I would for sure enable game mode just for the power plan profile (bitsum HP )alone, on adjusting the game (foreground process ), you shouldn't need to do it but if that is only process at high (you don't want to set a lot of processes at high priority), I guess you can try an see if it does anything.
Generally there not much gain by raising but it hard to say, also some games have protecting and might not like adjusting priority, but you can test it.
Bitsum QA Engineer

desiree101

Thank you for your reply :)
I have been reading about all the features of PL - there are so many! It seems to be recommended that it works just fine 'out-of-the-box', but with so many other extras, I wonder that I may be missing something if I don't use them  ;D
So you suggest to only enable Game Mode and leave the game at normal priority since it's a foreground process? Right, I'll try that.
Should I exclude the game from Pro Balance too?

edkiefer

Quote from: desiree101 on February 09, 2016, 01:33:57 PM
Thank you for your reply :)
I have been reading about all the features of PL - there are so many! It seems to be recommended that it works just fine 'out-of-the-box', but with so many other extras, I wonder that I may be missing something if I don't use them  ;D
So you suggest to only enable Game Mode and leave the game at normal priority since it's a foreground process? Right, I'll try that.
Should I exclude the game from Pro Balance too?
Yes, that is the great thing with PL, by default it works great right out of the box but does allow tweaking and advanced features.
So try it like it is with game mode enabled and you shouldn't need to exclude game as PL doesn't affect  or use Probalance(lower priority) of foreground processes.
Bitsum QA Engineer

desiree101

Okay, I'll do that :)
Thank you so much for your advice. PL is a great program  :D

Jeremy Collake

Ed gave great answers here, so there's not really anything I'll add, except to summarize:

1. You should do as little additional tweaking as possible. Users often do more harm than good in an effort to eek out marginal gains in performance.
2. ProBalance should never be disabled. You are correct, it won't act on High priority processes by default. It also avoids the foreground application, games, and more. There are a lot of criteria that help ensure it never acts on a process to the detriment of the user experience.
3. High priority class should not generally be used. It doesn't boost performance or application responsiveness, and may cause issues. Foreground boosting should not generally be used for the same reason.

Just enable Gaming Mode, using 'Classify as a game' if necessary, and have at it!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

desiree101

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on February 13, 2016, 09:10:18 PM
Ed gave great answers here, so there's not really anything I'll add, except to summarize:

1. You should do as little additional tweaking as possible. Users often do more harm than good in an effort to eek out marginal gains in performance.
2. ProBalance should never be disabled. You are correct, it won't act on High priority processes by default. It also avoids the foreground application, games, and more. There are a lot of criteria that help ensure it never acts on a process to the detriment of the user experience.
3. High priority class should not generally be used. It doesn't boost performance or application responsiveness, and may cause issues. Foreground boosting should not generally be used for the same reason.

Just enable Gaming Mode, using 'Classify as a game' if necessary, and have at it!

Thanks! Some good advice, there :)
At the moment, I'm not using PL as it was messing up my startup programs, which I've already reported and awaiting some feedback.
Hopefully, if PL behaves well on my PC then I'll try this :)

desiree101