Sort in "Persistent CPU Affinities" column (and other similar screens)

Started by LookHangars, September 12, 2022, 09:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LookHangars

Feature request for you, maybe it's an easy one (or maybe not).

With Alder Lake on Windows 10, I have a lot of rules to make sure that background programs stay locked on the E cores.  The "Persistent CPU affinities" list is getting unruly with its length.  If I want to go check/remove/adjust an affinity, I have to scroll through the unsorted list to try and find it...

It would be great if clicking on the "Process match" column header (circled below) actually sorted these alphabetically.  As it stands, clicking on the column header to try to sort it does nothing.

Jeremy Collake

I certainly see the need! The rule config dialogs become cumbersome when the rule count gets high.

The only caveat is that sorting the listview will change the rule order, in cases where that matters.

I found an existing ticket for this change, and have bumped it up for earlier consideration and likely implementation. I'll reply here when there is news.

General note: Use caution when setting rules on platform host processes, such as Steam.exe. These may be inherited by child processes (games) without specific rules to the contrary.

Thanks for the feedback!

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

LookHangars

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on September 12, 2022, 02:48:30 PMThe only caveat is that sorting the listview will change the rule order, in cases where that matters.

That did not occur to me but I see that as a possible issue.  In my case, I don't really care about the rule order.  But maybe a search/filter box just to help find a rule quickly would help there.  (...Probably a bit trickier to implement than just making the list sortable.)

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on September 12, 2022, 02:48:30 PMGeneral note: Use caution when setting rules on platform host processes, such as Steam.exe. These may be inherited by child processes (games) without specific rules to the contrary.

I did notice this pretty early on.  In most cases, I actually appreciate inherited processes keeping the parent's CPU affinity.  I have a wildcard rule in place for my games folder to apply appropriate affinity to those processes.