Park Control Heterogenous Policy

Started by Ramesh, November 24, 2023, 06:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramesh

I play games primarily on my 13900KS. There are a few options here I would like to understand and utilize better.
What is the best option for gaming
Heterogenous Policy - Hetero Parking/Standard Parking
Short Threads - Automatic
Long Threads - Automatic

0: All processors
1: Performant processors
2: Prefer performant processors
3: Efficient processors
4: Prefer efficient processors
5: Automatic

Which of the above gives the best performance not worried about energy efficiency. As always, a big thank you been a supporter for ages and glad you support the new P & E cores.

Jeremy Collake

I'd use '1: Performant processors' in that scenario, but YMMV. Ideally, you'd only do this for your highest performance power plan(s), and use Process Lasso to automate when you're in that power plan.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Ramesh

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on November 24, 2023, 12:09:27 PMI'd use '1: Performant processors' in that scenario, but YMMV. Ideally, you'd only do this for your highest performance power plan(s), and use Process Lasso to automate when you're in that power plan.

What does YMMV stand for?
How does one automate Process Lasso to apply these settings since it's a Park Control feature.

Short Threads - Performant Cores
Long Threads - Performant Cores

Is the following how I should set it up? Also as asked before how does Process Lasso automate this process. I'm always just using Bitsum Highest Performance for years now.

Thank you kindly

Ramesh

Sorry did some amending from previous post

What does YMMV stand for?
How does one automate Process Lasso to apply these settings since it's a Park Control feature.
Option 1
Long Threads - Performant Cores

Option 2
Long Threads - Efficient processors

Which option above is the better way to setup? Also as asked before how does Process Lasso automate this process. I'm always just using Bitsum Highest Performance for years now.

Thank you kindly

Jeremy Collake

YMMV = Your mileage may vary. (Your results may vary)

Option 1 is the most performant, so best for your case.

Always using Bitsum Highest Performance is fine. If you were using Balanced or Power Saver at times, then you might use Process Lasso to automate when that power plan goes into effect, by using the 'Application Power Profile' or 'Performance Mode'.

Ramesh

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on November 25, 2023, 06:57:59 AMYMMV = Your mileage may vary. (Your results may vary)

Option 1 is the most performant, so best for your case.

Always using Bitsum Highest Performance is fine. If you were using Balanced or Power Saver at times, then you might use Process Lasso to automate when that power plan goes into effect, by using the 'Application Power Profile' or 'Performance Mode'.

Just want to know if I choose Performant Processes will it still use Efficient cores?
Also there is an option for Prefer Performant Processors. This option to my understanding chooses Performant when applicable.
Still the best option would be Performant Processors as suggested by you.

Thank you kindly

Jeremy Collake

It will make very little (or no) automatic use of the E-cores, but applications that are heterogenous aware may still schedule their threads to the E-cores.

There is no single answer that is best for all cases.

If your active thread load never exceeds the number of logical P-cores, then it makes sense to schedule only to the P-cores if you don't care about energy savings. However, if your active thread count is high enough, then bringing in some E-cores may be necessary, thus 'Prefer Performant' is probably best.

Ramesh

Process Lasso
Currently playing Battlefield 2042
I have an Edge Browser, Discord, Steam & EA Play open when gaming

Currently using "Induce Performance Mode" on per application basis. In this instance on my game bf2042.exe
When the pop up appears "Efficiency Mode OFF" - I chose "Yes"

Park Control
Short Threads - Prefer Performant Cores
Long Threads - Prefer Performant Cores
My question is as follows. Should I use Efficiency Mode OFF - Yes & Prefer Performant Cores.

or is it better to use
Efficiency Mode OFF - No
Short Threads - Automatic
Long Threads - Automatic
To let windows better utilize the Scheduling Policy

As always thank you so much for your help :)

Jeremy Collake

The first set looks good to me, and I do recommend an Efficiency Mode Off rule, although it may not matter.