7950X3D - About CPU sets, rules, gaming and performance mode

Started by TheRealBix, January 03, 2024, 01:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRealBix

Hi there

I've used Process Lasso for a while on "manual mode", setting manually each process affinites etc. Time has come to do things properly.

CPU affinity is great for games, when EAC doesn't enter the bar, then I use CPU sets. I have two main rules :

(0-15) for f:\games\*
(16-31) for /^([^,]*,){2}(?!system,|registry,|memory compression,|secure system,)/

Together with some specific CPU affinity rules, this works great for games. However...
I'm a bit disappointed by Windows CPU sets which, at least from my testing by forcing high CPU loads with 32 threads, behave exactly like affinities. jobs won't populate CCD0 threads in any of my tests.

Instead, I'm now running everything on (0-31) and searching for a way to trigger the rule (16-31), either with performance mode or on process start...

I can't really find how to do that, do you have any clue ? I'm not familiar with every available tools.

Thanks for reading

TheRealBix

Ok I found a way, tho not that elegant... It may serves for others.

I'm using Profile Switcher to change between two profiles : Game and Desktop. The only key difference between those is the (16-31) rule from Game is (0-31) for Desktop.
Added a rule in Profile Switcher for actual games and specific softwares to trigger the Game profile.

Not elegant because the switch isn't fast, do not care if processes are foreground/background, and tedious because I must update both profiles for each update modification I must do.

Jeremy Collake

It looks like you found the best way, at least for the time being. You are right that the Config Profile Switcher isn't very intuitive to use. We're working on further improvements in this area!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Garouga

Quote from: TheRealBix on January 03, 2024, 01:05:26 PMHi there...I'm a bit disappointed by Windows CPU sets which, at least from my testing by forcing high CPU loads with 32 threads, behave exactly like affinities. jobs won't populate CCD0 threads in any of my tests...

I came to the same conclusion regarding the CPU sets behaving like affinities.

My current (workaround) setup:
1. Disabled the AMD 3D Cache optimizer during the driver install
2. Disabled Windows Game mode
3. Rules for games to be restricted to the 3D Cache (0-15)
4. BIOS Setting (Asrock): Advanced-->AMD CBS-->SMU Common Options-->CPPC Preferred: Frequency. This is probably not necessary, since the default behavior (Auto) without Windows Game mode is to use the high frequency cores first anyway.

This basically means that everything runs on all CPUs (0-31) using the high frequency CPPC (16-31) first, while games are restricted to the 3D Cache CPUs (0-15).

Not ideal, but only a few games benefit from using CPU (16-31) in addition to the 3D Cache (0-15) and they have high enough frame rates to be GPU bound anyway.

M0USER

Quote from: TheRealBix on January 04, 2024, 07:35:26 AMOk I found a way, tho not that elegant... It may serves for others.

I'm using Profile Switcher to change between two profiles : Game and Desktop. The only key difference between those is the (16-31) rule from Game is (0-31) for Desktop.
Added a rule in Profile Switcher for actual games and specific softwares to trigger the Game profile.

Not elegant because the switch isn't fast, do not care if processes are foreground/background, and tedious because I must update both profiles for each update modification I must do.

Would you be able to attach your config file(s) for your setup? I have the same CPU and just found out about Lasso now and bought it. I have not delved into it at all.

Thanks in advance.

Garouga

Quote from: M0USER on April 01, 2024, 12:31:52 PMWould you be able to attach your config file(s) for your setup? I have the same CPU and just found out about Lasso now and bought it. I have not delved into it at all.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the late reply. As you can see in my profile, I didn't change much. Just enabled Pro Balance and performance mode as well creating CPU Set rules for some folders.

TheRealBix

Quote from: M0USER on April 01, 2024, 12:31:52 PMWould you be able to attach your config file(s) for your setup? I have the same CPU and just found out about Lasso now and bought it. I have not delved into it at all.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, also sorry for the delayed answer.

tl;dr : you better off create your own profiles.

Because I use two profiles and Profile Switcher, I can't share a single file...
Also, my windows is in french and so my power plans are, you would have to edit the two .ini to get it working. I also have some personal settings that won't be useful for you.

If you still want my config, here what you need to do :

Create two profiles (Files/Config and profiles/Create...) named 'Desktop' and 'Game'
In Config Profile Switcher, create this rule to switch on Game profile
/f:\\games(?!.*wallpaper_engine|.*palserver)/
replace f:\\games with whatever your game folder is (eg : d:\\folder\games)

edit in notepad the two .ini files :
- search and replace 'f:\\games' with whatever your game folder is
- search and replace 'Performances élevées' with 'High performance'
- search and replace 'Utilisation normale' with 'Balanced'
- search and replace 'Économie d'énergie' with 'Power saver'

Import desktop.ini while in Desktop profile and game.ini while in Game profile.

Yes, it's tedious...

TheRealBix

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on January 04, 2024, 09:42:11 AMIt looks like you found the best way, at least for the time being. You are right that the Config Profile Switcher isn't very intuitive to use. We're working on further improvements in this area!

BTW it would be nice to have a complete config exportation for backup purposes, including Config Switcher settings and profiles.