Is it feasible to dynamically modify CPU affinity when in performance mode?

Started by WinfieldOlson, January 08, 2024, 05:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WinfieldOlson

Is it possible to automatically adjust the CPU affinities of Plex and Handbrake based on the usage of a gaming program? I currently use Process Lasso to limit these two programs to 8 cores out of the 16 available on my Ryzen 1700. However, I would like to allow both Plex and Handbrake to utilize all cores when I'm not gaming, and then automatically reduce their CPU affinities when a game is launched and performance mode is activated. Even in performance mode, gaming performance suffers temporarily when the Plex transcoder spikes if all cores are enabled. Therefore, I would like to know if it is feasible to set Process Lasso to limit the CPU affinity of a specific program when another program triggers the activation of performance mode. Thank you for your assistance.

Jeremy Collake

Yes, it is possible, but a little clunky to use in the current version.

See the Config Profile Switcher. Basically, you'd create a named config profile for gaming. Then you use the switcher to automate when the gaming profile is engaged. Your non-gaming profile would need to undo any rules you set in the gaming profile. For instance, change the CPU affinity back to all cores.

Menu path: 'File / Config Profile / Config Profile Switcher...'

Let me know how it goes!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.