Just installed v3.16 for Windows x64 * - Hangs -

Started by richie, October 12, 2008, 07:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richie

New install... hangs... waited for a couple of hours to see if it would continue... now trying to uninstall or reinstall hangs at the same point.

Execute: c:\Program Files\Process Lasso\installhelper.exe /remove

Jeremy Collake

Thank you for reporting this. I had not heard of this happening before. I haven't immediately been able to reproduce what you see, but I can give you a potential fix.

If this was an upgrade (you suggested it wasn't), the problme may lie with the older version you have installed. For some reason its InstallHelper.exe is completely hanging. To fix it, you need to delete InstallHelper.exe from the Process Lasso installation folder (i.e. c:\Program files\Process Lasso). This should let the install of the new version properly continue.

If it is a truly new install, then for some reason InstallHelper is hanging .. and I'll have to figure out why, as I don't see that behavior in my test beds, or the possibility for it to happen.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

richie

Thanks...  something is not quite right with this machine... having issues installing printer drivers as well... i.e. AIO HP drivers have lots of issues installing...

Jeremy Collake

Hehe, it is funny you mention the AIO HP drivers.. they drive me nuts. Any change to the location of the printer on the USB bus, result in a very annoying re-run of the installer for those drivers and facilitating applications. Further, you end up with multiple copies of the printer defined and it tries to install for each. Very annoying.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with Process Lasso of course.

In the last build I checked InstallHelper to see if I could identify any case where it could hang indefinitely. I haven't found any. I did lower some timeout values, but every operation had a timeout in previous versions, even if that timeout was as long as a total of 60 seconds.

In the end, I dunno. I really suspect it is isolated to your machine. Did you ever get Process Lasso to install?
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.