Out of Control

Started by tcano65, June 21, 2010, 02:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcano65

Im new to Process Lasso. I am not very computer savvy. I got Process Lasso because my computer was freezing and wanted to know what was causing it. I found my ESET antivirus is going out of control and taking up up to 90% of my CPU when my comp freezes, but i dunno how to fix this. Can someone help me? I have v3.84.6. Thanks in advance.

Jeremy Collake

Sadly, the best way to fix this is to uninstall ESet and use another anti-virus program instead. Either that, or try disabling its real-time scanning. Doing the latter could expose you to additional threats, so I can not recommend that approach.

Process Lasso may help to reduce interference from E-set *some*, but not much. Anti-virus software is hard to deal with because the whole system must wait for it to scan a file that is being opened (as an example).

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

doflyjets

Quote from: jeremy.collake on June 21, 2010, 07:51:33 PM
Sadly, the best way to fix this is to uninstall ESet and use another anti-virus program instead. Either that, or try disabling its real-time scanning. Doing the latter could expose you to additional threats, so I can not recommend that approach.

Process Lasso may help to reduce interference from E-set *some*, but not much. Anti-virus software is hard to deal with because the whole system must wait for it to scan a file that is being opened (as an example).

I too have noticed from today, my first time, using Process Lasso multiple instances of ekrn.exe process being lowered and stating it has quit effecting peformance. Eset probably is the least demanding security software. I do say also that ESET internet security may effect performance even more cause it also has a firewall solution software integrated into it. I use Eset antivirus/anti spyware. Avira free is next lightest but has a false positive issue.

So i do agree that no security solutions are going to be easy to 'boost' per se system performance. Constant file scans in the background contribute to cpu cycles and memory load. Especially with Mcafee, Symantic, Panda, and mostly resource hog AVG! AVG  needs AT LEAST a 1.5 ghz cpu!

http://free.avg.com/gb-en/internet-security#tba2

Eset requires a meer 400 mhz cpu. 256mb of memory. Mine idles at 20mb of memory.
these are winxp. in which i still use.

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN358

Mcafee uses
http://us.mcafee.com/root/popup.asp?path=/common/en-us/popups/vs/sysreq.asp

Norton:
    *  300 MHz or faster processor
    * 256 MB of RAM (512 MB RAM required for Recovery Tool)
    * 200 MB of available hard disk space
    * CD-ROM or DVD drive (if not installing via electronic download)
http://www.symantec.com/norton/antivirus

kaspersky:
Processor 800 MHz or higher
512 MB available RAM
Processor 1 GHz 32-bit /64-bit or higher
1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
http://www.kaspersky.com/kaspersky_anti-virus

Eset and Norton are the 2 lightest available. there is no way of getting around the cpu and memory issue because as a fact they are constantly scanning thoroughly files against a database of known infections.

I am a gamer as well. I play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. Requiring 450 MHz 128 MB. I have a old Amd athlon xp 1600+ 1.4ghz with 1 gig ram and it maxes my cpu load to 100 percent therefore it reduces responsiveness. No way of getting around that.

I play also Quake 3 Arena and team arena requiring about a little less power and runs smoother than MSFS2004. It is always full screen so i cant really view process lasso simultaneously. Quake Live runs in firefox or IE 6,7,8 but the processes load is combined with firefox browser even in full screen. The plug in container uses alot itself.

Let's do some math.
example:
winxp cpu 233mhz
Eset   cpu 400mhz
FS2004     450mhz
needed cpu: 1.83 ghz cpu ( i see my problem )
memory:
xp 128 mb
Eset 256 mb
Fs2004 128 mb
needed memory: 512mb

Cpu resources on my system is heavily loaded running FS2004. Appears something needs to go so I can get responsiveness but im not shutting down ESET.

Process Lasso has helped me in smaller applications but FS2004 is the most hungry gaming app I have. I wish I knew how to configure process lasso without errors. I do not understand all it has. would you please help me figure this out? I am looking for responsiveness when my cpu is loaded during FS2004. Even in gaming mode. It shows a Traffic light when less responsive. thanks

Jeremy Collake

@dolfyfets: I don't think there's any miracle to be had. I think the end solution, in your case, is going to be keep less stuff running at once. Also, do NOT use any of those memory cleaners or try any of that stuff, it will actually hurt more than it helps. Also don't use any registry cleaners, as they aren't going to make anything magical happen and may accidentally delete important registry keys and cause damage you don't notice until later (e.g. when you try to open a file type that's no longer registered, as a user here on the forum recently found with the CHM help file).

Process Lasso can't reduce the demands of any of these applications, but its ProBalance algorithm will help keep your system a bit more responsive to your input. Other than that, I don't think additional tweaks are going to get you anywhere. You are 'tapped out' ;o.

Of course, I don't know all the details and didn't read every word you wrote, and didn't analyze this for a long time... so, maybe I'm wrong.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

zed260

normaly i dont bump threads but in case anyone comes up agenst this issue etc

the only time process lasso seems to throttle ekrn.exe is when it does its hourly updates it doesnt thotle it any other time on my pc anyway so it doesnt seem to relly hog any resources
edit

some further investigation seems any time there is anything written to logfile like a portscan attack etc is when it happens