5.1.0.27a affectinng system services

Started by Neo, December 16, 2011, 11:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo

This new release is killing me!  It's restraining and trying to shut down Vista system services (svchost.exe) and my anti-virus (Avira) services.  When it tried to shut down Avira, of course the service relaunched and relaunched and...  An ugly loop ensued until I excluded the affected services.  To my knowledge, this is the first release of Process Lasso -- and I've been using it since 3.x -- that went after my anti-virus and system services.  When it does go after some services and programs, they shut down, like when I sync my iPhone and the mobile backup program shuts down (this happened in the past but I dealt with it).  Is this now normal behavior for this new release?

edkiefer

when you say shut down do you mean restraint process class or terminate (close process ) .

You could try excluding the process so probalance excludes them from probalance process priority class lowering .

Edit: I see you are seeing terminating the process (I should learn the read slower )

I have not encountered that with .27
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I assume you mean the programs stalled in some way, instead of terminate (a real 'shut down'), when the services were restrained.

The quick fix here is to exclude the process's you are concerned about from ProBalance restraint. Avira may be restarting its own service due to some tamper protection technology, though that's just a guess. Other services may simply be failing to do their assigned chores, and will need excluded.

You can exclude wildcard patterns and more in the full exclusion dialog found in 'Options / ProBalance / Configure excluded processes ...'

It may be helpful if you report your CPU type though, as the new ProBalance algorithm changes make this important. I believe that is the change you have seen. The new defaults are hopefully better for most people, but I'm slowly tweaking them, and you may have fallen into a situation I need to know about.

I apologize for the trouble, and will try to resolve it. Registered users can of course go back to the older version at any time in the Support area.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

BTW, if you can also submit your log, that would be very helpful. You can get to it by right clicking in the log pane, then 'Jump to log on disk'.

I try very hard to make Process Lasso work perfectly in every environment it is exposed to. However, sometimes users must take some actions themselves. Primarily this comes in the form of simply excluding from restraint any process that is problematic. Giving me your log will help me to identify these processes in your case, so they will be excluded by default.

The aforementioned requested CPU information will then let me know why the behavior changed, and I can explain more.

P.S. For now (a short period) the v5.1.0.26 version is still on the beta links if unregistered users need it.

Neo

Quote from: bitsum.support on December 16, 2011, 04:44:25 PM
I assume you mean the programs stalled in some way, instead of terminate (a real 'shut down'), when the services were restrained.

Actually, I wasn't terminating the processes.  They were terminating on their own when they were being restrained.  Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of yesterday's log, so I have nothing to substantiate my statement.

QuoteIt may be helpful if you report your CPU type though, as the new ProBalance algorithm changes make this important. I believe that is the change you have seen. The new defaults are hopefully better for most people, but I'm slowly tweaking them, and you may have fallen into a situation I need to know about.

My CPU is an Intel Core2 Duo P8600, 2.4GHz

Edit: I don't see an option allowing me to submit an attachment of my log anywhere.  I see "attachments and other options" but there's no option for attachments.  Do you want the log pasted in the post itself?

Jeremy Collake

Thank you. I can't explain the actual termination of processes. That is a phenomenon I've never seen, and can't imagine the cause. There may other factors on this PC.

However, I believe I now know what changed in your case, from version to version. I will address this in the build planned on Monday.

As for the log, which is still very useful. Yes, you could just paste it inside the post. The attachments are limited for security, I apologize. You can also email it to support@bitsum.com.

Thanks! We'll get this worked out for you, so that behavior is at least identical to v5.1.0.26 ;).

Please let me know how the new build, v5.1.0.29, when released does on your PC if you do not mind.