Restraint History

Started by husky, March 22, 2012, 11:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

husky

Hello,

This question may be  somewhere in the documentation but I was unable to find it or just plain missed.

I have a process showing a "Restraint History" of  10(...). 
Sometimes I found different processes with a values of    2(...), 37(...) , .....

Would there be someone who would be kind enough to explain me  the meaning of:

1.  The number ( a restraint value of 10 in relationship to 2, 37... or to any other number in different running processes ).
2.  The meaning of (...) right after the numeric value
3.  How should these numbers and (...) be interpreted from performance stand point, meaning do they affect  performance in any way?

Sorry for such a long list of questions.

Thank You for Your time. 

Husky

Jeremy Collake

The meaning is this:

## (time)

## = Times restrained
(time) = Total time restrained, if available  - Not always available at present, depending on the system configuration and limitations in version 5

This is something I'm working on improving, as right now the inter-process communication can get interrupted, causing the total time restrained to be inaccurate, and thus you see the dots. As I improve this, especially during high loads, you should see fewer of these occurrences, and more actual total time restrained. I must admit that this is not something I focused on much, continually refining more important parts of the product. However, this message does remind me I need to get this time counter accurately showing what it is supposed to show.

Unlike simpler solutions, Process Lasso's core/GUI split means that it must do a lot of inter-process communication, which complicates things a bit. The core must tell the GUI that restraint on a process started, then must tell it that it ended.

It does not affect performance in any way, just lets you know if the process has a history of being restrained (as would the log).
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.