Flash Players: can they be controlled?

Started by Hotrod, March 30, 2012, 01:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotrod

Is there some process I can modify to control Flash Players like YouTube within my Firefox browser? On slower PCs trying to view High resolution videos they can get jittery. The only solution I've found so far has been to lower the video resolution within the player, however some videos don't give you many modes to choose from and the problem remains but lessened. My fastest Laptop even gets this but it is so fast that it just presents itself as a short buzz in the playback. I have been unable to identify any processes that run when these are played but maybe I'm missing something.

edkiefer

I think it is the plug-in container exe but I don't know how to adjust it more than you mention .

You could try enable/disable hardware acceleration in flash player window, right click>settings
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

The issue is that you have a Flash Player that is showing multimedia. That means it *wants* real-time access to the CPU, so that it can show you non-jittery content. So, Process Lasso can't 'boost' its precedence any more than it already is (well, it can, but I don't recommend it, nor is it likely to help). If your CPU is inadequate, or too much other stuff is running in the background, playback can be jittery.

Another cause *totally separate* from processes, is PCI Latency. If your PCI (or other) bus is overwhelmed, then I/O to the audio device could be interrupted, causing static (usually).

In your case, I would say the first PC is simply too slow to handle to high-res content. The only potential resolution is a fresh OS install, just to see if it can/could at its *peak performance* without any interference from security software, and other applications you have installed over time. If it can't do it even then, then give up hope and lower resolution. Also check net I/O on this PC, in case its interface to your WAN is slower than your other computer (see below).

On your newer PC, I do not know the cause, but it sounds more like network I/O than anything. That is, your WAN (ISP, or route to remote server, or remote server) isn't fast enough to give you the content on-demand, but it appears to catch up with itself (as it is designed to do).
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.