THANK YOU for honoring us by using our software

Started by Jeremy Collake, May 11, 2012, 06:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

I posted something similar elsewhere a while back, but figured I'd post a 'thanks' here too. Also, there are a few changes in Support policy intended to allow for more development time.

First, when I say 'us', I mean me and the translators and worldwide affiliates Bitsum has. We all appreciate that you use Bitsum software, and do not take that for granted. There are periods of hyper-activity and stagnation both, but the reason I develop software is because I love to do so.

At times, I must admit to simply being overwhelmed. There are days where after I finish Support email, the day is nearly over! So, I'm going to take a slightly different approach. This may mean that if you email me, it might take 2 days to respond, or longer - or perhaps my response a pre-formatted one, as I *often* repeat myself. I also encourage users to post on the forum, unless it is something that might embarrass me, lol ;p.

Please do excuse this change, it is the only compromise I can come up with as Bitsum continues to grow. The goal, of course, is to free me up for more programming, and less of everything else ;). After all, that's what matters in the end.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Victek

As to using your software your welcome!  ProcessLasso is unique and nuanced, such that I consider it geek-art  :)  By the way, when PL updates I notice a very minor esthetic issue, which is the update window doesn't have an icon in the Windows 7 taskbar.  Instead it shows the generic icon with the red line through it.  If this isn't clear I can try to capture a screenshot when I update my laptop later.  Anyway, this is about as minor as things get, but I didn't know if it had been mentioned before. 

How's that v6 beta coming along?  ;D

Cheers!

Jeremy Collake

First, good news: I know *exactly* what you are referring to, so no need to take a screenshot of the all-red traffic light that can remain after an update. It should restore itself automatically within 2 minutes after the update, as it 'recovers' the governor. Why didn't you see it before v5.1.0.68? Because the 'detection' of the governor not running was not as robust, and would only show if the GUI main window was open. It is actually the governor failing to start after the update. I've known about this, but since I mitigated it with the governor recovery mechanism in v5.1.0.68, and fixed it with a redesign in v6, I've not otherwise worried with it. The only downside is that the delay may cause confusion. I may speed that up in a subsequent minor update. Note that this only applies to those who are running Process Lasso in certain configurations, not everyone. For instance, on my development system, running Process Lasso with elevated rights, I can update without this occurring.

Version 6 is coming nicely after I decided to get back onto my game plan. I had people request specific features, and I figured, "Well, I'm adding those anyway, so why not hack them in, send them a build, and make money". Sounds good, but it didn't work out. It threw off my approach as to what comes first and what comes next ;p. It ended up being counter-productive as I was hacking stuff together in haste, getting things to work without the *proper* 'framework' in place first -- so I put it outta my mind. Those features will be available soon, but I did get a bit depressed because I didn't deliver to those clients. I like to please people, and it kinda 'hurt' my self confidence that I failed. NOW that I have my developmental freedom back, so to speak, I am cranking it on out fast. Software development is a weird engineering discipline ... complex enough to almost be art in many ways.

The delay has given me time to think .. a lot. I've redesigned a lot of how the entire product is done.

bertie97

Have to say thanks for developing PL as it has made my PC a whole lot more friendly & useful.
PL has enabled me to solve some major irritations & thats above & beyond its' regular goal of making things smoother via optimization.  Even if I exclude the helpful forum support, I have to put PL in my top 5 all-time best software purchases.   ;D

GTX2GvO

Quote from: bitsum.support on May 11, 2012, 06:05:59 AMI also encourage users to post on the forum

I prefer Forum posting too. That way it's a tad more permanently available, update-able (add more info etc.) and other users could pitch in some info till a dev etc. shows up.

boco

I think what Victek refers to is the QuickUpgrade program having no taskbar icon while running. A thing I have noticed as well. That's got nothing to do with the notification area (aka systray) icons, though. Granted, it runs only a few seconds to minutes, but some users could get irritated or start panicking if they recognize an unknown (for them) process running.
Process Lasso Pro with Lifetime updates since 2009-05-14, Entire home since 2010-12-14.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: boco on May 16, 2012, 01:55:43 AM
I think what Victek refers to is the QuickUpgrade program having no taskbar icon while running. A thing I have noticed as well. That's got nothing to do with the notification area (aka systray) icons, though. Granted, it runs only a few seconds to minutes, but some users could get irritated or start panicking if they recognize an unknown (for them) process running.

Yes, I see now. He wants system tray notification that an update is available, more than anything. QuickUpgrade itself will soon be deprecated, and I'll try to provide for notification of updates as well with the newly redesigned quick updater of version 6 - when its complete.