News:

NOTICE: This forum is mostly an archive, though new posts are allowed. Registration may require manual admin activation. After registering visit https://bitsum.com/contact/ to request account activation.

Main Menu

Auto update of .80 -> .82 will malfunction due to localization problem in .80

Started by Jeremy Collake, May 15, 2012, 02:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

Process Lasso users of v5.1.0.80's automated update system will experience a failure to upgrade to v5.1.0.82. This is due to a bug caused by a fix to the localization of the briefly shown update dialog box. Under the assumption that the easy fix didn't cause new troubles, I released v5.1.0.80 with a broken automated update system. After released, I can not flush it out of the channel. Users of v5.1.0.80 will, when upgrading to v5.1.0.82, see:

1. A malformed dialog box as the automated update attempts to take place in the wrong dialog container.
2. An SFX failure to extract.
3. Process Lasso no longer running.

Users of all other versions are not affected.

Manual updates are mandatory for this upgrade path (v5.1.0.80->v5.1.0.82). I am very sorry for my mistake.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Victek

Wow, you just admitted a mistake in public.  You have no future in politics!  8)

Manually updated to .82 and all is well again.

Miroku4444

I had the 5.1.0.80 pro-version installed on the 12th, but then in the log it said i had 5.1.0.78 free version installed. Also, today when i shut down process lasso and restarted it, i had to re-activate it. It re-activated fine, but it still said free version in the log, and the activation thing was still in the menu. I applied the 5.1.0.82 update and it seemed to fix all this.

Was this thing you talked about in your post the cause of this?

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Miroku4444 on May 15, 2012, 02:50:33 PM
I had the 5.1.0.80 pro-version installed on the 12th, but then in the log it said i had 5.1.0.78 free version installed. Also, today when i shut down process lasso and restarted it, i had to re-activate it. It re-activated fine, but it still said free version in the log, and the activation thing was still in the menu. I applied the 5.1.0.82 update and it seemed to fix all this.
Was this thing you talked about in your post the cause of this?

The cause was me localizing the automated update download dialog (that short lived progress bar dialog). Indeed, it is only displayed a few seconds, so I made a big mistake even touching it. However, it was the one part of the product left untranslated. Thus, in v5.1.0.80, the *wrong* dialog is shown and it tries to do an automated update on it.. making it look very messy, and failing.

I temporarily reverted to v5.1.0.78 while I was doing final fixes to v5.1.0.82. I removed v5.1.0.80 from the system, as an errant build. That is probably why you saw .78.

The activation requires the process and governor to be restarted before all 'free edition' messages are removed. That may have been what you saw there.

I could spend more time trying to analyze exactly everything you saw, but I *think* the above explains most of it, and am moving forward with v6 very rapidly now ;). This mistake, in some ways, has only solidified my determination to get version 6 done.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Victek on May 15, 2012, 11:37:46 AM
Wow, you just admitted a mistake in public.  You have no future in politics!  8)

Manually updated to .82 and all is well again.

Yes, I may have made a mistake in doing so - but I prefer to be honest. Indeed, at times I am too honest. I know many developers, have worked at many companies, and software developers both large and small make MUCH BIGGER mistakes, but very few admit to them ;). I hope this mistake does not affect confidence in me, but I do not expect it will, especially when I reveal my v6 surprises.

After all, this was just an update anomaly. Companies make mistakes that literally destroy computers (e.g. McAfee detecting svchost.exe as a virus and deleting it from millions? of XP installations)... or numerous security holes in countless products and operating systems over the years. In comparison, this is minor .. though it is a bit visible ;o.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Miroku4444

I dont know what happen, but its fixed. So im happy.


Hey at least you admitted the mistake. Stupid Norton AV makes mistakes all the time and they never admit nothing.

boco

Well, I dealt with it my way. With the extract failure still on screen, I opened the pl4sfx.exe manually and updated my files. Finally restarting Process Lasso kicked it back into business.
Process Lasso Pro with Lifetime updates since 2009-05-14, Entire home since 2010-12-14.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: boco on May 16, 2012, 01:10:05 AM
Well, I dealt with it my way. With the extract failure still on screen, I opened the pl4sfx.exe manually and updated my files. Finally restarting Process Lasso kicked it back into business.

Indeed, that method *does* work if you know what you're doing ;).
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.