Core engine crashes every two minutes (Beta 48). -edited 7/18-

Started by gman68w, July 17, 2012, 04:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman68w

It's not crashing, exactly, at least not in the way that crashed programs don't start themselves up again. It's just that every two to three minutes, PL will close and then restart (but if it does so with the PL window open, it doesn't re-open the window when it restarts), and the log will read with the usual opening entries of 'Core engine started; Beginning process management for all users; etc', albeit with a different PID each time, I guess because it 'lost' it's 'place in line'. There aren't any new crash dumps in the log folder, so I don't know what to send in.

Add'l: Every so often, PL will take the Action of 'CPU core parking temporarily disabled' for the process 'svchost.exe (netsvcs)'. And then next to the process 'processgovernor.exe' (all lower case, as opposed to the normally capitalized 'ProcessGovernor.exe'), attached to the user 'cleanup' (instead of SYSTEM or my username),  the Action reads 'CPU core parking restored to previous setting'. This concerns me since I never configured the CPU Parking tool, and I assumed it was disabled by default.

BenYeeHua

Facing the same thing, but solve it by reinstall. :)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: gman68w on July 17, 2012, 04:41:48 PM
Add'l: Every so often, PL will take the Action of 'CPU core parking temporarily disabled' for the process 'svchost.exe (netsvcs)'. And then next to the process 'processgovernor.exe' (all lower case, as opposed to the normally capitalized 'ProcessGovernor.exe'), attached to the user 'cleanup' (instead of SYSTEM or my username),  the Action reads 'CPU core parking restored to previous setting'. This concerns me since I never configured the CPU Parking tool, and I assumed it was disabled by default.

This IS actually is enabled by default ;o. CPU core parking is not going to be utilized during periods of high loads anyway, this is an extra safety to make sure it is not utilized for a slightly extended period. It is a new option of ProBalance, in the ProBalance Options, at the bottom.

The 'cleanup' is a pseudo username I shouldn't have used, was mostly just for my own testing purposes. I will replace it with the appropriate user name.
Now replaced with proper username.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

this worked for me .
save and rename plasso,ini for backup .
open plasso.ini , remove all game mode paths (maybe multimedia too (have not tried)
now restart PL .46beta and it should work w/o shutting down and restarting constantly . Of course you loss specific auto enabled game mode but till its fixed this works .

PS: If you do a reinstall and delete log and ini as in installing setup you should be ok as that starts you off fresh with no paths set yet .
Bitsum QA Engineer

gman68w

So when you release the next build, I won't have to completely remove everything to reinstall it?

Jeremy Collake

No, you won't have to remove everything. Most everything will migrate fine. This is just a temporary bug.

Update: Setting Migration ... Some gaming mode processes may be lost when using these betas. For the final upgrade from v5->v6 I will likely restore use of the old key name so that these are not lost. However, for now I had to reset them since the old key became populated with a never-ending copy of this list, causing the betas to get perpetually slower (especially when using the PL GUI). So, when all these users have hopefully been flushed out of the channel - I will restore use of that old key *and* allow for the new key so that you testers do not have to enter them again. In other words, I'll migrate back to the original key and keep your new settings.

Jeremy Collake

gman68w

Well, now it just plain crashes every two minutes of runtime, and doesn't restart. It displays a Windows Error Reporter message (the standard 'This program has stopped working), and doesn't leave a dump file in Process Lasso's /appdata folder.

Also, when I went to uninstall it using the Programs and Features list, he version number beside Process Lasso showed the v5 beta build number '5.1.0.80', instead of the current v6 build number.

BTW, I'm using Windows 7 x64

edkiefer

I assume you installed 64bit version but you could try this . find the plasso.ini file , rename it or delete it . then rerun installer .

See if that helps .
6.0.0.48 is working here fine .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for the report. Sorry I did not get this lats build. I got the most immediate one (affecting the most people) first.

Another beta will be issued soon that further improves upon things. .48 fixed the most immediate of the new problems caused by some internal changes, but I'm still looking for any others that could exist. If they did or do exist, they would tend to be related to a particular rule or setting.

There were two disparate, yet similar, bugs here. Both probably caused by the same change, but manifest differently. One caused a restart right away. The other apparently has a two minute delay (likely when some rule goes into effect). OR maybe the second one (here) is something totally different. I fixed the most serious one first.

As for the version number being wrong. That is, I'm going to guess (unless Windows got it messed up), the version of when you last ran the full installer? I may try to fox this in future auto updates

This build - intentionally - does 'just crash' and the self-restart mechanism was disabled (though 'Keep Governor running' in the PL options should work), as I wanted to prevent any situation where it perpetually restarts.

UPDATE: Windows version issue last time the product's installer was actually run. Considering update.

edkiefer

Thats how I think it is, Windows is storing when you run installer and not each update .
My win "add/remove programs" says 6.0.0.46 which is when I did full install. now at .48
Bitsum QA Engineer

TfH

Quote from: edkiefer on July 18, 2012, 08:33:51 PM
My win "add/remove programs" says 6.0.0.46 which is when I did full install. now at .48

Sometimes that info don't get updated. I have many different apps showing way old version number even I'm using current on those apps.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: TfH on July 18, 2012, 10:54:23 PM
Sometimes that info don't get updated. I have many different apps showing way old version number even I'm using current on those apps.

And you are right.. that is why I eluded to Windows issues with that list. I've never looked into it... but I wonder if it is due to auto-updates not changing the registry key that backs that data? I mean, few people care about that. It is kinda an artifact nobody uses or relies on besides that one dialog in Windows, and it just shows it for user info.

Sometimes two copies of an application can even get installed. I haven't determined if this is *always* the programmer's fault (e.g. a new major version that he wants treated like a new product), or some random occurrence I see from time to time. I favor the former.

Thanks again for reporting this gman, and I apologize for it not being resolved in the last build. The last build there was a more serious issue, and I *assumed* you were reporting it, to be honest. Your issue will likely get done next build. Of course, in a couple days, I hope to be doing final testing for the final. That's why I'll be spending the next two nights doing nothing but testing, so *figure* I'll be able to ferret out ALL issues. It is a more methodological way than trying to put out brush fires - which is what I was trying to say before.

Please forgive my inability to communicate effectively at times, or even when I get a little frustrated at myself. A public beta tends to ramp up the frustration for everyone I think, but it has benefits - seeing the product grow, helping its development. Reporting bugs before I get to final ;)

Jeremy Collake

Summary of Issue here:
Severity: Operationally Inhibiting
Symptoms: Crash or restart of core engine periodically - or repeated crashes of the core engine or GUI (related, all of the same .45/.46 cause))
Current status: UNKNOWN (presumed fixed with other .45/.46 issues). Similar crashes fixed.
Fix version: 0.49