Plasso for linux

Started by ECS, December 08, 2008, 03:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECS

Any plans to port plasso to linux like ubuntu 8.10 64bit server and 2 quadcore hardware?

Jeremy Collake

As a part-time linux developer, I have considered this. I believe linux (and most other OSes too) would benefit from Process Lasso. I worry somewhat about the profitability of such an endeavor though, which is why I haven't developed it yet. I may develop it soon, but at present, with huge financial pressures here, I am inclined to focus on whatever makes money .. and, traditionally, linux apps aren't big money makers. In fact, if they aren't entirely F/OSS they are often shunned by the community. Now, I say this as an avid F/OSS developer, I have nothing against F/OSS.. it is just a fact that I won't make much money off such an offering ;(.

So, I'll get to it eventually.. I hope ;)
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

ECS

I can understand that, this request is based on 64bit virtual environments and cloud computing where one heavy duty machine runs 4-24 virtual servers divided over 1 or more quad cores. For this to run successfully in a commercial environment driven by opensource components(and kick out esx) you need some form of control. I see no problem buying a product for an opensource solution.

Jeremy Collake

You're right, if I marketed it to the enterprise, I think they would be willing to pay for it. We'll see.. I definitely have that on my radar.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.