Windows 8 - My first impressions (Excellent!)

Started by Jeremy Collake, August 22, 2012, 10:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

Windows 8 Enterprise fresh installation went fast, smooth, and looks great. I haven't even had to install a driver yet. Everything has 'just worked' so far. It is, by leaps and bounds, the simplest and fastest Windows install I've ever had. The few minutes it takes to configure things at the end it gives you a repeated pointer on sliding your mouse to any edge of any screen to invoke an operational menu. Of course, hitting the Start Button (flips to Metro) and starting to type is the preferred method of launching anything. Looks great, I must say.

I am a convert. All the bad press. Don't believe it. This is a worthy upgrade for any traditional desktop PC and you will NOT lose functionality. It might be a little less productive in some respects, a few things take an extra click or two, etc.. but otherwise not bad at all.

Keep in mind, after running the RP in a virtual machine, I wasn't expecting it to be this great on my physical machine. I was very pessimistic. It is just wonderful though. I love it. Best of all, Process Lasso looks GREAT. I did notice that the default language for PL is not English, need to get that auto-detection fixed up ASAP.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

Quick shot. Now you see what I mean by the change in the look of Process Lasso.

Jeremy Collake

New right-click context menu shown at bottom when launching apps (shortened) ...

rominalett

can't wait to install mine!:)

Jeremy Collake

I've taken and posted many other screenshots, and even videos.. just as I get the impetus. Here are some more.

Jeremy Collake

Jeremy Collake

Jeremy Collake

Improved Explorer Copy / Move (Paste/Drop) files.

nikkil

I still haven't switched yet. A bit too skeptical I guess. Still reading the reviews. IE improvement seems to be the best one so far.
You're never a loser until you quit trying.

airborne

Windows 8 my worst windows experience ever. I upgraded my system. But i cant stand it. Downgraded to windows 7 again. I wont upgrade my computers that
have windows 7 and Vista. I simply don´t like it on stationary or laptops. But i can see me use it on a tablet.

Kind regards

Jeremy Collake

It takes some getting used to for sure. You pretty much HAVE to use keyboard shortcuts, e.g. WIN+X, WIN+D, etc... else you can get stuck in Metro. There are definite improvements that could be made for the desktop. It would have been nice if the desktop version of the OS behaved as Windows 7, with all the enhancements of Windows 8.

BenYeeHua

Yup, Windows 8 is training the users for "How to use Keyboard shortcuts" ;D