New Updater Discussion

Started by Jeremy Collake, August 30, 2012, 02:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

We had started a discussion about this, after the updater had interrupted a few people's games (sorry guys). Since the thread we hijacked got back to its original subject, I figured I'd start a new thread.

The new updater's goals:

1. Run independently of the software (so it can update even if the software isn't running).
2. NEVER interrupt any game or fullscreen multimedia application  [ - COMING NEXT BUILD - PRIOR TO REDESIGN OF UPDATER ]
3. Allow for updating of any of Bitsum products.
4. Allow silent, background automated updates.
5. Show revision history before and/or after update [gen2(?)].

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

4.Giving a setting for auto-updating any of Bitsum products with/without a dialog(silent update).  ;)
Example: When you install PL, it will asking wanna auto-update with/without a dialog, or manual-update. And it can be change after install(in PL)

danlock

It looks like BenYeeHua has just stated what I suggested in a mostly-OT post in that other thread. I think I'll let myself fade back into lurk mode... <shades>  8)  </shades>

BenYeeHua

Quote from: danlock on August 30, 2012, 07:34:34 PM
It looks like BenYeeHua has just stated what I suggested in a mostly-OT post in that other thread. I think I'll let myself fade back into lurk mode... <shades>  8)  </shades>
And I think this is MIB  8)
----
5.Showing the change log before/after update?

Jeremy Collake

Added #4, which I meant to add to start with, as of course it will be a big part of it ;)

Jeremy Collake

#5 also added  .. as a second-gen improvement. Why second-gen? Because the first 4 are arguably more important. #5 is important too, but also takes the most work.

Jeremy Collake

As I add the code to not interrupt people's games, do note that it won't be until the update *after* next that it actually takes effect. Until then, I can only recommend manual updates, or less frequent update checks (now an option in v6).

bertie97

This is probably irrelevant as dialog writing skill isn't needed here........ but it was how I visualized the settings when reading danlocks' comments: -

=====================================
Auto
|
----- Notify
----- Silent
(i.e. PL's installing the updates as soon as found)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Manual
|
----- notify availability
----- wait for manual check
(i.e allowing update if desired)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Show revision(s)
|
---on
---off
=====================================

all to accessed via RMB (sub)dialog & have check box type selection.  & as normal can be edited via the options on the main window.

Like coals to Newcastle & tea to China.   ;)

Jeremy Collake

Looks like a good representation to me ;). Now, I should get to work and do less talking ;p.

BenYeeHua

bertie97

Quote from: BenYeeHua on August 31, 2012, 06:07:35 PM
OK, 加油  ;)

So the caffeine in 茶 is 加油  ?   :D

BenYeeHua

Quote from: bertie97 on September 01, 2012, 11:04:30 AM
So the caffeine in 茶 is 加油  ?   :D
Er....
What!?  :o
---
The meaning of 加油 is just like...
I remember that, the olympics 2008 has doing the translate of this words....
So try Google it  ;)

bertie97

Well there aren't many options, so I guessed  ;D

oil   åŠ æ²¹
refuel   åŠ æ²¹
lubricate    加油
make an all-out effort 加油

-maybe the last?  in this case 茶 may still help...  :P

Sorry my Chinese skills are pretty thin.  The logic of this ideogram didn't jump out at me if these were the only options.  Do you use it as an idiom?

& you have me OT again!

BenYeeHua

Quotemake an all-out effort
Maybe the more correct one is
"name", 加油
But....
You will know the real meaning when you learning Chinese.
Different conditions, different meaning to the person.  ;)
---
QuoteSorry my Chinese skills are pretty thin.  The logic of this ideogram didn't jump out at me if these were the only options.  Do you use it as an idiom?
Ya, Chinese is very hard, as 1 word having difference meaning, but >2 words together, some time it is a different meaning.
Example:ç"µé˜», Resistance
If you read the Chinese words, you will know that, ç"µ, means Electricity,  阻, means stop,block.
And if you adding together, you know the meaning is block some Electric current to pass through it.  ;)

But if you reading resistance, you can't know the meaning as it is made by some letters, not words.
----
And it is not a idiom, idiom is 一步登天, as least 4 words.
----
Quote& you have me OT again!
Er....
But you learn something, right?
And this is my passive skill. ;D

Jeremy Collake

这有æ,,ä¹‰å—?  ;D

BenYeeHua

Quote from: bitsum.support on September 01, 2012, 08:43:51 PM
这有æ,,ä¹‰å—?  ;D
lol
Different meaning for different people.
But I having a passive skill that hard to active it.
Changing a meaningless topic into a meaningful topic  ;D

Jeremy Collake

It was Google Translate's translation of "Does this make sense?" ... LOL :)

BenYeeHua

Quote from: bitsum.support on September 01, 2012, 09:03:19 PM
It was Google Translate's translation of "Does this make sense?" ... LOL :)
You trying to reverse it~
And the answer is
This makes sense.  ;D
The Google Translate forgot the 吗(adding to the end of the words when asking question)  ;)

Jeremy Collake

If ever Google Translate gets too good it will put a lot of translators out of work ;p.

BenYeeHua

Yup, and the Google Translate is saving time/money for us  ;)
When you need a pro translate, go find the translators, not a website/software  ;D

bertie97

OK so now I have to learn Hanji as well this week....

I do know that intonation is a feature of assigning meaning, so combinations of characters in the same way is not wholly surprising.   ::) :)

Literal translation via machine can just generate garbage / mots noir.  I have found it helps to translate from English to s/thing like French before giving it to the translator as English is prone to confuse the software.   :P  (The downside is the need to know a mainland European language to be able to do this however).
And in an effort to go even further OT

é»'色çš,,犬吠
&
é»'色çš,,犬吠

are the same translation but one is from French; & curiously enough appear the same in the Googlish <-> Googlese. universe

The upside of all this is BenYeeHua will be able to do a full translation of all PL docs to Chinese, with so much English practice. :D

BenYeeHua

QuoteThe upside of all this is BenYeeHua will be able to do a full translation of all PL docs to Chinese, with so much English practice.
I will not doing that, I has try with a Video on YouTube before....
It is very very hard to maintain the original meaning of the words.
As example.
Core-parking?
Park?
Coreâ†'核心
Parkâ†'?
核心?
核心禁ç"¨ï¼Ÿ
But it is with the meaning of disable the core.
So it may be is 核心停泊, but core is parking?
It still feeling so strange....
----
So we need to reverse the words
Moving the 停泊 to the front of 核心
停泊核心
park the core.
As it is the system parking it, not the core parking itself  ;)

bertie97

The example you give also shows what I was saying about translating EN to other European languages - it all forms strange syntax. 
Sometimes really wrong meanings!  ;D
English can be very strange compared to the rest of the world.

BenYeeHua

QuoteEnglish can be very strange compared to the rest of the world.
As you can know the meaning of the words from a Dictionary only.

bertie97

I'm referring to syntax & grammar.  The meaning is a whole other minefield.  :)

Jeremy Collake

Should I create a special board for Chinese language lessons? :)

Jeremy Collake

In seriousness, my Chinese partner is Ziqing, who is registered here, so he is responsible for all things Chinese, though of course we always welcome any assistance we can get ;). Wang Hulen, for instance, contributes to maintain the Traditional Chinese translation at times, something we are very appreciative of. Trust me, nobody is 'making a killing', so this business is more like a loose collaboration of friends.

BenYeeHua

I think the broad "Process Lasso 中文论坛" is too quiet....
Maybe some user that could not speak English can't found the broad, and don't know how to post.
Did really this forum will changing the Language to Chinese for them?
I has set the first Language as Chinese in Firefox, but this forum is still showing English(without login), and this is working for other website.
----
And yes, many software is build with many friends which doing it own parts.  ;)

Jeremy Collake

Pending the new unified updater, the update dialogs are no longer system modals in 6.1.0.7 beta and later. That means updates *after* that build is installed won't interrupt you again. I still have testing to do, and make sure the update dialogs don't get hidden, but I figured this would be the first thing I did this (short) beta series, since it requires a little testing to make sure its all good. I have a few other very specific goals for this next minor update, then will be moving on to much larger things.

BenYeeHua

6.Before running the update file, check the update file is corrupt or not(CRC), to prevent the corrupt update file will delete the PL file, but fail to replace it.
Just having a update on Netbook, and the update file is corrupt, when auto update is running it, the dialog that similar Winrar jump out with CRC corrupt.
When I try to running the PL to update again, the PL software is missing as the update file is delete it. :o

Maybe using the similar "test" function in Winrar, or MD5/SHA1 to check the update file is complete or corrupt.  ;)

Jeremy Collake

Yes, I had intended to add a post-download integrity check, and gracefully try to handle this failure. It is very high on the list. I don't need any external utilities to compare check the digest of the file. I will likely use a salted SHA2-512 and/or do a digital signature verification.