NOTICE - See a UAC prompt at boot? How to Fix.

Started by Jeremy Collake, September 04, 2012, 10:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

DESCRIPTION: Normally Process Lasso is able to start elevated without any UAC prompt. In fact, the default is to run elevated, and you'd never notice because there is no UAC prompt at login. However, I have determined that if the user made a post-install adjustment to this from within the 'Main' submenu (not via 'Reconfigure the way Process Lasso starts' menu item), then a UAC elevation prompt will be shown for both the GUI and governor at login, in NT 6.0 and above when UAC is enabled, of course.

PLANNED FIX: v6.1.0.8 or later. The automated fix for this is coming in the next final, it is one of the objectives there. This will be a short beta series, as I've said elsewhere. It won't take long, then I'll be moving on to much larger goals.

IMMEDIATE FIX: Select the menu item 'Options / General Settings / Reconfigure the Way Process Lasso Starts ...' *or* re-run the installer. Go through the dialogs and save the changes, you need not even edit a single thing.

AMENDMENT: If you are running StartupDelayer, it may be the cause of the UAC prompts at boot.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

f1charlie

I have tried the immediate fix, but I still get the UAC elevation prompt at the next login (v6.0.1.36)

Jeremy Collake

Reinstall Process Lasso and it should fix it - without any doubt. In the second InstallHelper dialog you can select to run elevated (the default). The actual startup item is in the Task Scheduler, if you want to edit it. Note that at boot, since Process Lasso is often the last thing installed *and* uses the Task Scheduler, it may take a while for it to show up in the system tray, after everything else gets loaded. If you try to manually open it before this, you will get a UAC prompt.

f1charlie

With v5 I had the startup of Process Lasso delayed using a program called 'Startup Delayer' to try to speed up start times.  This must have appeared as if it was a manual start to Process Lasso.  I have reinstalled v6 and removed control from Startup Delayer and all seems well now.  Thanks for your quick response.

BenYeeHua

If you want to delay more for Process Lasso, just change the "Delay task for x" in the Task Scheduler ;)

MOD EDIT: This is NOT related to the UAC at login problem you see with StartupDelayer.

Jeremy Collake

Ah, thanks for the tip. I did not realize StartupDelayer could not properly handle these types of tasks. Now if someone else comes to me with this, I will have another possible answer. So, here we go (for readers):

+ If you are running StartupDelayer, it may be the cause of the UAC prompts at boot.
+ Otherwise, do a reinstall of Process Lasso to make sure the boot time configuration is right. Just install over-top.