Question about priority class for audacity during recording

Started by smurray, December 28, 2008, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smurray

I use my laptop during my church's service to both recording the sermon and also to handle the scripture and quote slides that go on the screen.  Audacity runs in the background after I start recording as I need the slide software to run in the foreground while I'm changing the slides.  I'd like audacity to have a higher priority even while not in the foreground however, as it's important that the recording not have any stutters or hiccups.

What is the best way to go about doing this?  I found where I can change priority class of audacity.exe, would changing that be all I need to do?  If so, how high would you recommend I set the priority class?  I'm assuming either high or real time, though I don't know what the difference between those two are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy Collake

Yes, you should set the default priority of audacity so that it is 'Above Normal'. In that priority class, its threads should take high enough precedence over those in other processes. However, if you need more of a boost, you can use the 'High' priority class.

Do not use the 'Real Time' priority class, as it is potentially disruptive to the overall operation of the system and has to be used with extreme caution. In fact, Windows default security settings will prevent you from using the real-time priority class (it'll go to High instead).

You should also optionally exclude audacity from ProBalance restraint, although it won't be restrained (by default) so long as its priority is non-normal.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions, or if this isn't clear.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.