New launcher - For XP users, how to fix main window shown at login

Started by Jeremy Collake, October 05, 2012, 12:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

In version v6.0.1.45 and above there is a new ProcessLassoLauncher.exe. You might say, what in the heck are you adding yet another module for? Well, it is quite simple really. I need a low-rights (unelevated) process that makes the decision as to whether to open the main window of an existing instance of Process Lasso, or launch a new one. In the latter case, a UAC elevation prompt will be presented if the product is running elevated. In the former, no UAC prompt is needed even if the product is running elevated.

This is a big improvement, but at the last minute I identified some problems, quirks, and some low level code that had a malfunction. Thus, I've got more work to do. I had hoped to jump to final then move to other chores that required more extensive modifications.

In order to use this new start menu shortcut you must re-run the installer. That said, the GUI has also been modified to properly invoke the main window of an existing instance as well, you'll just see the UAC prompt before it even searches for an existing instance. So, if you do an automated update, you'll still be fine.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Just installed v6.0.1.50, after reboot, it show its GUI(window)  :o
So I using /showwindow for a temporarily fix ;D
Need fixing it ASAP?

jasonliul

Same here, a little boring.

Jeremy Collake

BUG: Main Window starts Open instead of Minimized

I will be issuing a fix for this. However, it is also not the end of the world. Users can revert to a prior build if desired. Guidance on this issue is now here, since these threads got all mangled. It actually has little to do with the new launcher, other than a change made for the launcher caused this as a side-effect. http://bitsum.com/forum/index.php/topic,1951.0.html

edkiefer

seems to work right here with very little delays , though I am testing on win7 .

you can use threadracer to test it if you don't have other stress test apps .

Threadracer cpu% bars work now too ;-)
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

The issue is that the main window comes up open, instead of minimized to the system tray. This means the user has to click 'X' to minimize it. Not a huge deal, but annoys some.

Yes, I fixed up ThreadRacer again ;). This build has a lot of fixes and it is a shame this little flaw is present. That said, most people don't login/logoff a lot these days, and others don't mind if the main window shows up open.. so it at least affects a minority.

It does affect all operating systems, in contrast to my early reporting of this cosmetic bug.

edkiefer

hmm, you moved my post i think , i posted to another post,,, laptop user I think it was .

now I am not even sure who I replied to  :P
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

My fault, as I spliced the threads when they got all intertwined. I made a mistake myself in one response. Oh well. I believe I have the 3 reports (1 of concern) separated now.

Tarnak

Quote from: bitsum.support on October 05, 2012, 07:10:02 PM
The issue is that the main window comes up open, instead of minimized to the system tray. This means the user has to click 'X' to minimize it. Not a huge deal, but annoys some.

I noticed, and until I saw this thread, I wondered what had changed. However, no big deal, for me.

Quote from: bitsum.support on October 05, 2012, 07:10:02 PM
Yes, I fixed up ThreadRacer again ;). This build has a lot of fixes and it is a shame this little flaw is present. That said, most people don't login/logoff a lot these days, and others don't mind if the main window shows up open.. so it at least affects a minority.

Does ThreadRacer work in XP?  If so, how do I check?

Jeremy Collake

The undesired window open at startup issue is fixed in .51, though I have more work I want to do on it.

ThreadRacer should (now) work fine, I tested it recently in XP. It is in  Options / Advanced, or as a stand-alone EXE in Process Lasso's folder, or as a stand-alone download.

Hotrod

I usually run my gui with the RAM load graph disabled and the total core usage showing. I have noticed that in addition to  the gui now loading maximized at boot, the total core usage is also drawn incorrectly and a blank frame is shown where the RAM graph would have been. This is easily fixed by opening and closing the RAM graph.This has been happening since .36 on both XP and Win7 x64

Jeremy Collake

Yes, it should be fixed already in v6.0.1.53 beta. The final had already been issued by the time I became aware of it. While not liking the situation, I didn't want to become trapped in a 'quick fix' type scenario, and thus issued the beta version. It affects a minority of users I believe.

Jeremy Collake

After I wrote that, I reconsidered my position and released a new build of v6.0.1.52 with the back-ported fix for this errata. It had a good 12 hours of testing, and was a small adjustment. Users of the older .52 will not be notified. The installer and About Box build date is the only difference from the user perspective. The newer betas are preferred and should be nice and stable, but if you want a final then simply re-install .52.