Questions about Process Lasso

Started by johnksss, January 15, 2009, 05:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnksss

im in agreement with that last poster.
and also.. what is the difference between the free and pro version?
and is there a way to upscale the priority instead of down prioritizing them. meaning i start a program running in dual core mode, then when it needs more cpu power it up sizes to 4 cores but with out downgrading it's priority class to below normal. is there any way it can stay at it's current level or maybe have a toggle switch for this.

and im all for donating if the program does what i need. just need to make sure it's going to do just that though.

Hotrod

I'm not absolutely sure, but this seems to have been posted in the wrong thread.  ???

johnksss

im sure it is, because i have no clue just where to start this sort of request or question. and it has to do with a few things.

Hotrod

No problem.  ;D  Try breaking it down into specific issues. You may need to post in more than one thread in order to get a meaningfull response and to keep certain topics understandable to others who may be experiencing the same troubles. Try to read a few threads until you find ones relating to your specific issues one at a time. The forum search function at the top of the page may help you find what you need. Good luck and I'm sure we will help where we can if you can give enough details and make your point as clear as possible. Try to be patient with us , as most of us are just users like you, and only the author knows all the ins and outs of the program completely.

johnksss

1: if i set a program to start up at core 1,2. then when the program needs more cores or hits better than a preset (say 50%) then it jumps up to 4 cores or how ever many cores i chose. it's pretty close to this now, but instead of staying at normal priority it drops to below normal.
2: it does not drop it's priority to below average, but will retain it's current setting of normal. (or if set to high or real time) not drop down to below normal. the cycle back up to normal.

is this any clearer?

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: johnksss on January 15, 2009, 06:45:53 PM
1: if i set a program to start up at core 1,2. then when the program needs more cores or hits better than a preset (say 50%) then it jumps up to 4 cores or how ever many cores i chose. it's pretty close to this now, but instead of staying at normal priority it drops to below normal.
2: it does not drop it's priority to below average, but will retain it's current setting of normal. (or if set to high or real time) not drop down to below normal. the cycle back up to normal.

I'll have to add the option to not lower the priority class on restraint. I will add it to the v3.43 beta series, which will be after the next final (3.42).

Also, I split this thread into a topic of its own.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

I forgot to answer your question about the differences between the Pro and free builds. They are listed here: http://www.bitsum.com/prolasso_home_purchase.php

johnksss

Process Lasso Pro with Lifetime updates
Only $19.95 per computer
Buy one, GIVE one free!*<---- what does this mean? and is this a per download per license type or just an activated exe?

QuoteI'll have to add the option to not lower the priority class on restraint. I will add it to the v3.43 beta series, which will be after the next final (3.42).

how long might that be. not rushing just curious....

Jeremy Collake

I guess you've now discovered what the buy one give one free means, it allows you to send a free Pro license to anyone you want. The license you'll be giving out is always a single Pro license with a 1 year update term. I'll likely have the new option implemented in within the next few days.

Thanks for your business.

johnksss

well, i posted that after i bought...because i didn't see any extra license kick out..lol but yes, i understand now.

and no..thank you!

Jeremy Collake

Hmm, so do you see the free license give-a-way box in the User Services area? It is in a box to the left on the main User Services page. I'll check it out to make sure, but haven't seen any troubles with it thus far.

I got the feature you requested implemented. I'll be uploading a new beta in a few minutes that includes it.

johnksss

thank you sir!. wow that was quick service!

ill login to the services area in a few.

johnksss

i know what is missing and it's driving me crazy.
when you have a program set and you want to see the list of programs you have and want to change a few of them..you have to delete the original first then add a copy of it with it's new affinity and priority settings. instead of being able to click on it and make the necessary adjustments right there.

also if possible...drag N drop to that same list would be a nice add... saves from having to type.

Jeremy Collake

Yes, those dialogs are cumbersome to work with. I will try to improve them soon. Drag and drop will come later, but I'll keep that in mind. I hope the new feature has worked out well.

Thanks

johnksss

yes, it's working out very nicely in fact. all i can say is..thank you!

johnksss

ok...

1: in this new version when i set to two cores then the percentage is met. it just stays at two cores and doesn't go up to four cores.
2: has an issue with staying in the task bar.
3: graph bar is hard to read in percentages. im trying to fine tune but can't tell where im at. would be nice to have it read in percentages up to 100.

had to revert back to 3.43 beta till these things are corrected in the 3441 version...

Jeremy Collake

Regarding issue #1, I think you may need to disable 'Exclude foreground processes from restraint'. The newer versions behave slightly differently in this regard, and I think that is what you are seeing.

The task bar issue I am not sure about, but it may be resolved in v3.45 beta, which fixes some similar anomalies.

The graph is indeed hard to gauge. I plan to put a lot of work into it soon to improve its readability.

Thanks for the report, I'm sorry v3.44.1 didn't do so well for you. I think the only new issue is #1, and that should be fixed with that setting change.

johnksss

your doing a great job! i would give you a thumbs up, but dont see a smiley icon for that :)
the graph can be gaged by shrinking it to show only 4 green lines then go by a 25 percent ratio up to 100 percent. this is how i get a pretty good idea of where the changes take place. now if it could be made to have ten lines showing when you open it up a bit. then we could use 10 percent up to 100 percent using 10 green lines.

im still working with it..maybe i over looked some things so ill go back over it again and report back.

Jeremy Collake

Thanks ;). Please do let me know if you see any problems.