Service start/stop via tray

Started by Ruhe, February 07, 2009, 06:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruhe

Hi all,

is there a reason why the tray function 'start/stop core engine' does not work if the core engine is running as service ("Run as user" mode)? Using this function does not start/stop the service.

Jeremy Collake

Hmm, I just did some quick tests here, in both Vista and XP, and it appeared to work fine to start/stop the service. I still need to test in Vista /w UAC, as perhaps the problem you see lies there.

Are you using the x32 or x64 build? And which operating system are you using?
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Ruhe

I will retest it tomorrow too.

You can find the info you requested in my signature  ;)
Process Lasso Pro v3.46.2 [x32], Vista Business, SP 1, 32bit, enabled UAC

Ruhe

Some further notes:

After a new installation of PL as system service (as already mentioned "Run as user" enabled) the service is installed but not running, start type: auto

The tray icon offers the option "Start core engine", whereas the the Main menu of the GUI offers "Stop core engine" ???

Using the tray icon ("Start/stop core engine"):
nothing happens, the service is still not running, and, the tray icon text still says "Start core engine".

Using the GUI Main menu ("Start/stop core engine"):
nothing happens, the service is still not running, and, the text still says "Stop core engine".

Jeremy Collake

I've now reproduced this errata, thank you for the additional information. I apologize for not getting to the Vista /w UAC testing earlier.

The problem is that Process Lasso doesn't have sufficient rights to start or stop the service when running in 'normal rights' mode with UAC enabled.

I've verified that when you select 'HIGHEST RIGHTS' during the install process (last dialog), the service start/stop will work. For users running the governor as a service, this is usually the desired setting anyway. In this mode, each instance of the governor and GUI will manage the processes of all running users.

Does this solution work for you? I am going change the installer so that this option is the default if the user selects running the core engine as a service.

Meanwhile, I will fix the discrepency between the two menus.

Thanks for report this

Ruhe

Thanks for your response and explanation.

QuoteFor users running the governor as a service, this is usually the desired setting anyway.

I didn't know this fact. Did you mention it in the documentation?

QuoteI am going change the installer so that this option is the default if the user selects running the core engine as a service.

I've noticed your change regarding this in the release notes of the new beta.

Jeremy Collake

I do need to mention that in the documentation. In fact, there are A LOT of things I need to mention in the documentation ;o. I plan to start a major overhaul of the docs soon.

Anyway, I hope the new beta solves this problem. I apologize for not realizing this bug earlier. If you notice any other problems, just let me know.

Thanks.