ProcessLasso and FPS games?

Started by Darth Continent, January 16, 2013, 10:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Continent

I've been experimenting with using ProcessLasso to optimize FPS games like, say, Battlefield 3.

I'll first turn off unneeded services and processes and whatnot using the someware program, then start the game. EA decided to make use of their Origin software mandatory for launching their games, so Origin runs and navigates the web browser to their Battlelog site, and from there I find a server with a ping relative to me of under 100ms and Join. This eventually launches the main game process, bf3.exe, which in ProcessLasso I've defined as a game and set it to run at Above Normal process priority.

With ProcessLasso active, I notice that the game doesn't seem to play as smoothly; there will be a lot of "stutter" in game and in some cases lag. On the other hand, when ProcessLasso is shut down, all else equal the game performs much more smoothly.

Can someone please advise me on whether I'm missing something, and how I might use ProcessLasso to more effectively optimize FPS games on my system?

edkiefer

I would put process priority back to normal for your game . I have all my games set with there exe as a game rule and have not noticed any degrading with PL running .
DO you also running GUI to when playing game ,might try with only core running, no GUI .
Bitsum QA Engineer

DeadHead

Quote from: edkiefer on January 16, 2013, 10:29:25 AM
I would put process priority back to normal for your game.

This.

Far to many tips floating around that recommend setting games to high or even realtime priority. You can also keep an eye out in the Action log window in PL, to see what the program does with your processes.
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

BenYeeHua

Quote from: DeadHead on January 16, 2013, 10:54:16 AM
This.

Far to many tips floating around that recommend setting games to high or even realtime priority. You can also keep an eye out in the Action log window in PL, to see what the program does with your processes.
And remember, the mouse movements will affect because it is been pushed by bf3.exe
Try disable core-parking if you don't disable it. ;)

Darth Continent

I'll try leaving the process priority at normal, disabling the PL GUI while in game, and also just discovered core parking so will look into this as well. Specific to BF3 I have enabled raw mouse input as suggested in EA's forums and elsewhere.

Thanks all for the recommendations!  :)

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Darth Continent on January 16, 2013, 12:09:44 PM
I'll try leaving the process priority at normal, disabling the PL GUI while in game, and also just discovered core parking so will look into this as well. Specific to BF3 I have enabled raw mouse input as suggested in EA's forums and elsewhere.

Thanks all for the recommendations!  :)
And use render.perfoverlayvisible 1 to see which(CPU/GPU) is reducing your FPS. ;)