Incorrect logging

Started by chris635, January 26, 2013, 12:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris635

Hey Guys,

Iv notice for a while now, when the first program that process lasso restrains, it will retain that program I.D. in the U.I bar graph, know matter what other program is restrained. It does show the correct program restrained in the actions log, it just identifies any other program as the first program restrained when I hover over yellow bar in the graph. For example the very first program process lasso restrained was windows media player. The yellow bar in the graph correctly identifies it, and so does the actions log, however the next program that is restrained is also identified on the yellow bars in the graph as windows media player as well but the actions log will show the correct program restrained. This behavior will continue until I reboot then it will start all over again depending on what was restrained first. Process lasso is restraining like it should, it's just incorrectly identifying the program restrained on the yellow restraining bar in the graph after initial program restraint. Any ideas as to why? Could it be my set up?

Chris
Chris

BenYeeHua

Nope, it is a bug, it also happen at here. :)

nikkil

Thanks for confirming this. At least we won't look at everywhere for a solution. I don't want to sound pushy but is there an estimate time frame?
You're never a loser until you quit trying.

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for reporting this. I am looking into it. I will get it fixed shortly for sure.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

The cause here is the excessively complex inter-process communication I use. It is purely cosmetic, as you noted. The actual LOG should be accurate (though I will evaluate it closely to be sure).

Everyone assumes those tooltips come from the LOG, but they don't. They come the governor telling the GUI that it just restrained something. It does this by firing an event. The event tells the GUI to highlight at time X, but then the GUI gets the information about what was done via an inter-process pipe. This entire mechanism is prone to synchronization problems. The idea WAS to allow single, or multiple, instances of the GUI to report on single, or multiple, instances of the governor running in different user contexts, without relying on the LOG.

I am rewriting it so that it does use the log and uses the timestamps in the log to create the tooltips and graph highlight. This may cause the highlights to appear a second or two after the graph moves, but it will be much more accurate and reliable. I should have dropped this more complex mechanism a long time ago.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.