GUI Feature Request: Right-Click Open Containing Folder

Started by MarkMelanson, March 05, 2009, 07:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkMelanson

First I'd like to say I love Process Lasso. It is definately worth the registration fee. Thank you.

Now to my request... I'd like to be able to right-click on a process and go to the file location in Explorer. It makes it much easier to identify those "mystery" processes. ;-)

RDMTECH

I like it.  Maybe even an option to search Google for the process?

Jeremy Collake

Thanks, I will add both those features. They've actually both been on 'the list' for a while now, but I kept putting them off. I'll try to ensure these will make it into the next beta series (v3.51).
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: MarkMelanson on March 05, 2009, 07:35:27 AM
First I'd like to say I love Process Lasso. It is definately worth the registration fee. Thank you.

Now to my request... I'd like to be able to right-click on a process and go to the file location in Explorer. It makes it much easier to identify those "mystery" processes. ;-)

When I went back to read your request, I noticed that what you asked for is already present in Process Lasso. It is in the 'advanced' submenu of the process context menu (right-click). The option is 'open containing folder'. I am going change it so that it will go directly to the file in that folder, which is what I thought your request was for.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: RDMTECH on March 05, 2009, 09:21:17 AM
I like it.  Maybe even an option to search Google for the process?

I just added a 'search for process name online' option to the process right click (context) menu. It is in the 'Other actions' submenu, formerly named 'Misc. advanced'. It will appear in v3.51.3 beta.

As a side note, it currently just uses google, and whether or not I allow other search engines in the future, I don't know.

MarkMelanson

Quote from: jeremy.collake on March 06, 2009, 03:15:04 PM
Quote from: MarkMelanson on March 05, 2009, 07:35:27 AM

When I went back to read your request, I noticed that what you asked for is already present in Process Lasso. It is in the 'advanced' submenu of the process context menu (right-click). The option is 'open containing folder'. I am going change it so that it will go directly to the file in that folder, which is what I thought your request was for.

You know me better than I do! :-)

Jeremy Collake

I went ahead and slipped this feature into an unannounced update of v3.52. I changed the menu option to 'Locate executable on disk ...'. When explorer is opened, it now auto-selects the executable's process.

If you already download v3.52, please re-download it. You'll know if you got an up-to-date copy if the above change is present. Note that non-English languages don't have that text update yet.

Enjoy ;)

RDMTECH

This will definitely help diagnose malware infections.  Thanks for the quick work.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: RDMTECH on March 09, 2009, 11:35:54 AM
This will definitely help diagnose malware infections.  Thanks for the quick work.

It was actually a very quick and easy change, so I think I should be apologizing for not getting to it sooner ;o.

I wonder if I should add support for that with the multi-process select too.. opening multiple explorer windows, one for each selected process?  Hmm, that may be an unnecessary addition though.

Hotrod

What might be more usefull would be an interface where you could install your own choice of search engines much like IE7 allows.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Hotrod on March 10, 2009, 09:31:18 PM
What might be more usefull would be an interface where you could install your own choice of search engines much like IE7 allows.

Yes, I intend to add a choice of search engines sooner or later. However, that is low on my priority list for the time being.