Does firmware modification kit support atheros chipset?

Started by soundsticks, February 15, 2013, 05:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soundsticks

Does firmware modification kit support atheros chipset?

BenYeeHua

I don't know, but you can check this list, if one of them are using atheros chipset, then it is supported. :)
http://bitsum.com/firmware_mod_kit.htm#Compatibility

Jeremy Collake

This question is not applicable.

Atheros is a chip manufacturer. Retail vendors like Netgear, TP-Link, Buffalo, and similar create devices built around their chips (or others).

This, retail vendors create their own firmwares for each model. They also define the firmware image format. Compatibility depends on the firmware file format for the particular device and vendor.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

soundsticks

I have read the firmware mod kit thread and there said lots of others*. But I'm looking the is tp-link wn740n support the modification firmware becuase this under the atheros chipset like we have to flash the specify firmware (dd-wrt) for different devices.

Jeremy Collake

I am currently working with the TP-Link TL-WDR4300 (also TL-WDR3600/TL-WDR4310). I believe its firmware images are in the same format as the device you mention, so I will be making sure the FMK works with these images soon. They are a very simple format, not obfuscated.

I've actually found the TP-Link vendor firmware quite awesome. It's particularly advantageous because it supports the routers Hardware NAT, a feature missing from all aftermarket firmwares. It is also completely open source and is ready to run custom packages.

I strongly recommend sticking with the vendor firmware, and using it as a base to modify rather than DD-WRT. Hardware NAT alone is reason enough to do this, and compared to DD-WRT, the TP-Link source code is easier to work with. Of course, with the FMK you need not work with any source code.

I will confirm when I've added support for TP-Link routers. If you want to expedite the process, you can always pay me ;). Otherwise, it shouldn't be long at all.

soundsticks

So currently most of the broadcom chipset are supported by FMK?

Jeremy Collake

Again, the chipset is irrelevant. The firmware file format varies depending on the vendor. Vendors switch between Broadcom, Atheros, and others all the time, but often retain the same firmware file format.

soundsticks

Okey. Because I rebuild the firmware it only show the me generic build and some linksys build in my final build. Just wonder will this brick my router if I download the TP-Link's dd-wrt firmware and extract it firmware and install some package and rebuild will this brick the router?

yof

Hi,

it appears that fmk last revision allow you to rebuild any dd-wrt webflash firmware doesn't matter if the firmware is designed to use Broadcom, Atheros, or Ralink chipset (we test it with ubnt devices, x86 without any trouble). So now the next step should be to be able to rebuild dd-wrt initial flashing firmware....:)

BenYeeHua

Quote from: yof on July 08, 2013, 05:27:24 AM
Hi,

it appears that fmk last revision allow you to rebuild any dd-wrt webflash firmware doesn't matter if the firmware is designed to use Broadcom, Atheros, or Ralink chipset (we test it with ubnt devices, x86 without any trouble). So now the next step should be to be able to rebuild dd-wrt initial flashing firmware....:)
Hope you will bring more good news about that. ;)

Jeremy Collake

Most DD-WRT images should extract and rebuild, including extraction and rebuilding of the web interface, just fine. I tell people that they will probably brick their routers only to make sure that is what they expect to happen. In truth, for most models supported by DD-WRT, it should operate perfectly.

yof

i just saw that 0.99 is released, i will give a try with ubnt DD-WRT initial flashing kind. with 0.87, i'm able to extract it but not to re-build it, i hope this release solve the problem.

Will come back to share

yof

So...

with fmk 0.99 you could extract DD-WRT Atheros initial Flashing kind of Firmware
when rebuilding, you still have a warning message that says wrong  fw size could brick your dev...but rebuilt fw is not delete, so you could give a try with flashing.

Now i have to try flashing the device

Jeremy Collake